Spring elastic potential, removing mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential energy stored in a spring when 3 masses are removed from a system of 5 identical masses. There is confusion about the correct interpretation of the question, but ultimately it is determined that the potential energy would be (2/5)MgL in this scenario. However, the question is deemed as tricky and asinine due to its unclear wording.
HaoPhysics

Homework Statement

5 identical masses M are suspended by a spring stretched a distance of L. If 3 of these masses are removed, what is the potential energy stored in the spring?

2. Relevant diagram
So L is the distance stretched with 5 masses.
Let L2 be the distance stretched with 2 masses remaining.
L2 < L since the spring would "shrink" if it had to hold up less mass.
L2 = (2/5)L

The potential energy is E = ½(k*x2)

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer which the book gives is (5/2)MgL
Which would make sense if we are measuring the potential energy when the spring is holding 5 masses.
Since F = 5Mg = kx, and x = L, so E = ½(k*x2) = ½(5MgL) = (5/2)MgL
But isn't the question asking the potential energy when the spring is holding 2 masses?
As I understand it, the potential energy would change:
F = 2Mg = kx, and x = (2/5)L, so E = ½(k*x2) = ½(4/5MgL)=(2/5)MgL

Which answer should it be?​

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer sounds right to me. Where did you get this problem?

Doc Al said:
Your answer sounds right to me. Where did you get this problem?
http://imgur.com/a/2k2WV
ih3k6IE.jpg

Answer key says (3) is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
HaoPhysics said:
Answer key says (3) is correct.
Could be a typo. Note that (2) cannot be correct -- the units are off. Only (1), (3), and (5) have proper units.

Doc Al said:
Could be a typo. Note that (2) cannot be correct -- the units are off. Only (1), (3), and (5) have proper units.
Yes, that is almost surely right, but I note that the question is not entirely clear. It does not say "3 masses are removed and the system allowed to come to equilibrium again". If the string is cut between the second and third mass from the top then, in that instant, the PE is still what it was with all 5. On the other hand, that would make the answer 3, not 2.

Likes Doc Al
haruspex said:
Yes, that is almost surely right, but I note that the question is not entirely clear. It does not say "3 masses are removed and the system allowed to come to equilibrium again".
Agreed. The question not clear.

haruspex said:
If the string is cut between the second and third mass from the top then, in that instant, the PE is still what it was with all 5. On the other hand, that would make the answer 3, not 2.
I thought of that, but dismissed it as being too sneaky without bothering to do the calculation. You know what, I think that's the "correct" interpretation after all -- it's a trick question! :wink:

Doc Al said:
Agreed. The question not clear.I thought of that, but dismissed it as too sneaky without bothering to do the calculation. You know what, I think that's the "correct" interpretation after all -- it's a trick question! :wink:

It indeed is a very tricky question! And also, very asinine! Because there is no point in saying "after 3 masses are removed" if we're still regarding the 5 mass system!

Hope the AP Physics C exam won't be like that.

Related to Spring elastic potential, removing mass

1. What is spring elastic potential energy?

Spring elastic potential energy is the potential energy stored in a spring when it is compressed or stretched. It is a type of potential energy that is stored in the bonds between the atoms of the spring.

2. How is spring elastic potential energy calculated?

Spring elastic potential energy is calculated using the formula E = 1/2kx^2, where E is the elastic potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

3. Can the mass of an object affect its spring elastic potential energy?

Yes, the mass of an object can affect its spring elastic potential energy. The heavier the object, the more energy is required to compress or stretch the spring, resulting in a higher elastic potential energy.

4. How can the mass be removed from a spring without affecting its elastic potential energy?

The mass can be removed from a spring without affecting its elastic potential energy by carefully unhooking or detaching the mass from the spring without causing any additional compression or stretching. This ensures that the displacement of the spring remains the same and the elastic potential energy is not altered.

5. What happens to the spring elastic potential energy when the mass is removed from the spring?

When the mass is removed from the spring, the spring returns to its original shape and the elastic potential energy is released as kinetic energy. This is because the bonds between the atoms of the spring are able to relax and return to their original state, resulting in the release of stored energy.