Spring Design :How to achive a given spring constant k

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking information on how to achieve a given spring constant of 10.90 N/m. They ask if there is a formula or source code available to help them achieve this, and apologize if their question is too basic. Another person responds by asking for clarification on what type of formula they are looking for, and provides a link to Hooke's law for reference. The original person then thanks the responder and provides their understanding of the formula for spring constant, and asks for advice on where to find the necessary values for materials and which material would be best to achieve their desired spring constant.
PtrElectron
Dear experts,

I would like to know the formula to achive a given spring constant
for example 10.90 N/m. or is there any url where I can
get the source code, which can take the spring constant
as input and provide the different options/ parameters
to achive the same. Please execuse me if, it is a very basic question.

Many Thanks in advance!

-Electron

Engineering news on Phys.org
By "formula" do you mean a recipe for making such a spring?

Or are you asking for a mathematical formula for relating force to displacement through a spring constant, e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke%27s_law" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir, Thanks a lot for the responce. I understood that

spring constant k = (Gd4)/(8D3 na)

and where G is found from the material's elastic modulus E and Poisson ratio v,

G = E/2(1+v)

and can you please advice where I can get the E and v values of materials and where I can find more details in this reagrd.

If I want to achieve the G some 81400 N/mm2, which is the best meterial to opt to design my spring. or is that I need to option for combination of certail meterial.

Many Thanks

Related to Spring Design :How to achive a given spring constant k

1. What is a spring constant?

A spring constant, also known as stiffness or force constant, is a measure of how easily a spring can be compressed or stretched. It is represented by the letter k and is measured in units of force per unit of length (N/m or lb/in).

2. How is spring constant related to the design of a spring?

The spring constant is a crucial factor in determining the design of a spring. It affects the amount of force required to compress or stretch the spring, as well as the amount of displacement that occurs. A higher spring constant indicates a stiffer spring, while a lower spring constant indicates a more flexible spring.

3. What factors can affect the spring constant of a spring?

The spring constant of a spring can be affected by several factors, including the material and shape of the spring, the number of coils, and the wire diameter. The type of loading (compression or tension) and the temperature can also impact the spring constant.

4. How can I calculate or determine the spring constant for a given spring design?

To calculate the spring constant for a given spring design, you can use Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. The formula for spring constant is k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement of the spring.

5. Are there any tips for achieving a specific spring constant in a spring design?

Yes, there are a few tips for achieving a specific spring constant in a spring design. First, choose the appropriate material and wire diameter for the desired stiffness. Additionally, adjusting the number of coils and the spring's length can also help achieve a specific spring constant. It is also important to consider the application and the expected forces that will act on the spring when designing for a specific spring constant.