Spring Constant [Please Check Work]

In summary, the bungee jumper's mass is 98 kg and he oscillates up and down after reaching his lowest point three times in 9.3 seconds. The spring constant of the bungee cord can be determined by using the equation \omega=\sqrt{k/m} and setting the period to 9.3 seconds. However, the period needs to be adjusted as it does not take into account the fact that the jumper reaches the lowest point three times and gravity needs to be incorporated.
BuGzlToOnl

Homework Statement

A bungee jumper, whose mass is 98 kg, jumps from a tall building. After reaching his lowest point, he continues to oscillate up and down, reaching the low point two more times in 9.3 s. Ignoring air resistance and assuming that the bungee cord is an ideal spring, determine its spring constant.

Homework Equations

[tex]\omega[/tex]=[tex]\sqrt{k/m}[/tex]

[tex]\omega[/tex]=2[tex]\pi[/tex]/T

The Attempt at a Solution

2[tex]\pi[/tex]/9.3s = [tex]\sqrt{k/98kg}[/tex]

k = 44.732N/m [?]

I rewrote the equations so I can try to obtain.

The answer I got 44.732N/m, but that seems way to low, can anyone verify if its right/wrong and where I went wrong

EDIT: Well I think I'm wrong because I never used the fact that he reached the lowest point 3 times and didn't incorporate gravity. Not sure on how to approach this so any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BuGzlToOnl,

BuGzlToOnl said:

Homework Statement

A bungee jumper, whose mass is 98 kg, jumps from a tall building. After reaching his lowest point, he continues to oscillate up and down, reaching the low point two more times in 9.3 s. Ignoring air resistance and assuming that the bungee cord is an ideal spring, determine its spring constant.

Homework Equations

[tex]\omega[/tex]=[tex]\sqrt{k/m}[/tex]

[tex]\omega[/tex]=2[tex]\pi[/tex]/T

The Attempt at a Solution

2[tex]\pi[/tex]/9.3s = [tex]\sqrt{k/98kg}[/tex]

I don't believe the period is 9.3 seconds. Do you see what it needs to be?

Your approach is correct, but you forgot to include the acceleration due to gravity in the equation. The correct equation should be:

\omega=\sqrt{(k/m) + (g/m)}

Where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This will give you a slightly higher value for the spring constant, which makes sense since the bungee cord needs to be strong enough to support the jumper's weight and the force of gravity acting on them.

Using this equation, the spring constant would be:

k = 45.25 N/m

This is a more accurate value for the spring constant and makes more sense for a bungee cord. Keep in mind that this is an ideal case and does not take into account factors such as the elasticity of the bungee cord and air resistance, which would affect the actual spring constant in a real-world scenario.

Related to Spring Constant [Please Check Work]

What is the definition of spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

How is the spring constant calculated?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the resulting change in length of the spring. Mathematically, it is represented as k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the force applied, and x is the change in length.

What factors affect the spring constant?

The spring constant is affected by the material and shape of the spring, as well as the temperature and the amount of force applied to the spring. In general, stiffer materials and larger cross-sectional areas result in a higher spring constant.

Why is the spring constant important?

The spring constant is important because it allows us to predict the behavior of a spring in response to an applied force. It is also used in many applications, such as in the design of springs for mechanical devices and in the analysis of systems involving springs.

What are the units of spring constant?

The units of spring constant depend on the system of units used. In the International System of Units (SI), the units of spring constant are newtons per meter (N/m). In the English system, the units are pounds per inch (lb/in).