Spring constant of mass-less spring

In summary, a "mass less" spring with a length of 0.350 m in its relaxed position is compressed to 70.0 percent of its relaxed length with a mass of 0.150 kg placed on top and released from rest. The spring constant can be calculated using the equation mgh=1/2kx^2, where the time of 1.5 seconds can be used to calculate the velocity of the mass once it leaves the spring. By setting the potential energy from the compressed spring equal to the sum of the potential and kinetic energy at the maximum height, the spring constant can be solved for.
alfredo24pr

Homework Statement

A "mass less" spring has a length of 0.350 m in its relaxed position. It is compressed to 70.0 percent of its relaxed length, and a mass M= 0.150 kg is placed on top and released from rest. Find the spring constant

Homework Equations

mgh=1/2kx2

The Attempt at a Solution

mgh=1/2kx2

2mgh/x2=k

k = 2(0.150)(9.8)(0.350) / 0.105(sqrd)

the 0.105 comes from (0.350 - 70% of 0.350)

Am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
alfredo24pr said:
A "mass less" spring has a length of 0.350 m in its relaxed position. It is compressed to 70.0 percent of its relaxed length, and a mass M= 0.150 kg is placed on top and released from rest. Find the spring constant
Are you sure this is an accurate statement of the problem? There doesn't seem to be enough information to find the spring constant. (The same conditions can apply to any spring constant.)

Make sure you've presented the problem exactly as given to you, word for word.

Doc Al said:
Are you sure this is an accurate statement of the problem? There doesn't seem to be enough information to find the spring constant. (The same conditions can apply to any spring constant.)

Make sure you've presented the problem exactly as given to you, word for word.

Oops! I forgot the last sentence! Sorry

The mass then travels vertically and it takes 1.50 s for the mass to reach the top of its trajectory. Calculate the spring constant, in N/m. (Use g=9.81 m/s2). Assume that the time required for the spring to reach its full extension is negligible.

alfredo24pr said:
Am I doing something wrong?
You haven't made use of the 1.5 second time. That should give you a clue where you might have missed something.

Also: Your use of mgh=1/2kx^2 ignores the kinetic energy that the mass has once the spring uncompresses.

Doc Al said:
You haven't made use of the 1.5 second time. That should give you a clue where you might have missed something.

Also: Your use of mgh=1/2kx^2 ignores the kinetic energy that the mass has once the spring uncompresses.

Oh, so I was thinking:

mgh + 1/2mv(sqrd) = 1/2kx(sqrd)

Is that correct?

alfredo24pr said:
Oh, so I was thinking:

mgh + 1/2mv(sqrd) = 1/2kx(sqrd)

Is that correct?
Sounds good. Use the time to figure out the speed.

Doc Al said:

ok! Thank you a lot :)

Doc Al said:

Im not getting the answer

1/2kx2 = mgh + 1/2mv2

1/2k (0.245)2 = (.150)(9.8)(0.105) + 1/2 (0.150)[(0.245/1.5)]2

0.0300125 k = 0.15435 + 0.002001

0.0300125 k = 0.1563508

k = 5.209 N/m

this does not give me the answer?

[STRIKE]This is a case of Simple Harmonic Motion. Do you know how the period of the motion is related to the mass and the spring constant?[/STRIKE]

Ignore this post! DUH !

Last edited:
alfredo24pr said:
Im not getting the answer

1/2kx2 = mgh + 1/2mv2

How did you figure out the speed? (Hint: Once the mass leaves the spring, it's a projectile.)

Doc Al said:
How did you figure out the speed? (Hint: Once the mass leaves the spring, it's a projectile.)

So, every other thing is correct? it is just the speed?

I have to use: y = yo + voyt - 1/2gt2?

alfredo24pr said:
So, every other thing is correct? it is just the speed?
Not exactly:
alfredo24pr said:
How did you get that displacement?
I have to use: y = yo + voyt - 1/2gt2?
You don't have the distance. But you can directly relate speed and time.

Doc Al said:
Not exactly:
How did you get that displacement?

You don't have the distance. But you can directly relate speed and time.

ok.. so,

1/2kx2 = 1/2k (0.350)2 right?

I really do not understand how to get the speed. Obviously the time is 1.5s, but what displacement do I use?

alfredo24pr said:
ok.. so,

1/2kx2 = 1/2k (0.350)2 right?
No. How much is the spring compressed? (You had this figured out in your first post.)

I really do not understand how to get the speed. Obviously the time is 1.5s, but what displacement do I use?
You don't need displacement. How are velocity, acceleration, and time related?

Doc Al said:
No. How much is the spring compressed? (You had this figured out in your first post.)

You don't need displacement. How are velocity, acceleration, and time related?

x=0.105m

and for the velocity:

v = vo +gt

v = 0 + 9.8(1.5) = 14.7 m/s

I got the answer now! Thank you for your patience!

Related to Spring constant of mass-less spring

1. What is the definition of "spring constant"?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring and is defined as the force required to stretch or compress a spring by a unit length.

2. What does it mean for a spring to be "mass-less"?

A mass-less spring is a theoretical concept where the spring does not have any mass, and its weight can be ignored when calculating its behavior. In reality, all springs have some mass, but for simplicity, the mass is often neglected in theoretical calculations.

3. How is the spring constant of a mass-less spring determined?

The spring constant of a mass-less spring can be determined by measuring the force required to stretch or compress the spring by a certain distance. The spring constant is equal to the ratio of the applied force to the displacement.

4. Is the spring constant of a mass-less spring always the same?

No, the spring constant of a mass-less spring can vary depending on the material and shape of the spring. It can also change if the spring is stretched beyond its elastic limit, which can cause permanent deformation.

5. How does the spring constant affect the behavior of a mass-less spring?

The spring constant determines the strength of the force exerted by the spring when it is stretched or compressed. A higher spring constant means a stiffer spring that requires more force to stretch or compress, while a lower spring constant means a weaker spring that requires less force.