Spring constant for a block sliding PE and KE

In summary, the block is held against the spring by a horizontal external force, and is projected when the force is removed. The block then descends a ramp and has a velocity at the bottom of 1.9 m/s. The block enters a rough section and the coefficient of friction over this section is .39. The velocity of the block is 1.4 m/s at C. The block moves on to D, where it stops. The spring constant of the spring is closest to:1100N/m 3900N/m 2600N/m 1600N/m 2000N/m
Zsmitty3
1. An .8kg block is held in place against the spring by a 67 N horizontal external force. The external force is removed, and the block is projected with a v1=1.2. upon separation for the spring. The block then descends a ramp and has a velocity v2=1.9 m/s at the bottom. The track is frictionless up to that point. The block enters a rough section B, extending to E. The coefficient of friction over this section is .39. The velocity of the block is v3=1.4 m/s at C. The block moves on to D, where it stops. The spring constant of the spring is closest to:

1100N/m 3900N/m 2600N/m 1600N/m 2000N/m

2. It seems like a lot to take in. I have a couple thought about how to go about it but not sure if any would work. There's also a diagram of the situation included.
3. First I started simple and thought maybe we didn't need all that and tried just using F=.5kx^2 but we don't know x. So then I proceeded trying to use Conservation of Energy. At the top there would be some PE and the KE would be .576. after the drop, the PE would be 0 and the KE goes up to .5*.8*1.9^2=1.444. Since there is no friction, the initial PE must have been 1.444-.576=868N. That gets me to the spring with the PE and KE known but I have no clue from there because there's also PE in the spring along with the gravitational PE. I'm not sure if I need to include the friction part somehow. Thanks!

Homework Statement

Physics news on Phys.org
Zsmitty3 said:
First I started simple and thought maybe we didn't need all that and tried just using F=.5kx^2 but we don't know x.
Does .5kx2 represent force or potential energy?
So then I proceeded trying to use Conservation of Energy.
If you know the KE of the block as it leaves the spring, what does that tell you about the initial PE of the spring?

Think I'm getting there but the x has me stuck

I see the correlation now. PE of held spring = KE of v1. So PE=.576 or .5kx^2=.576. We still have two variables though. Can I just solve for x and substitute? Or do I need to use the 67-N force that's holding the spring in place?

Two unknown variables: k and x. Need another equation. What is the relation between force and k and x?

Not sure? You mean like k-2F/x2 or x= sqrt(2F/k)?

Did you cover "Hooke's law"? It relates the force of a spring to the spring constant k and displacement x.

Yes. F=1/2kx2 you mean?

Oh wait no...that's F=kx...AHHHHHHH I see

So...maybe

PE=.576
.5kx2=.576

.5F2=.576

.5*492... Oh wait nevermind:mad:

Yes. So...? :smile:

F=1/2mv2

F=.576

Zsmitty3 said:
F=1/2mv2

F=.576

:bugeye: How can force equal kinetic energy? From PE = (1/2)kx2 and F = kx you need to figure out how to get k. It's all come down to algebra.

TSny said:
:bugeye: How can force equal kinetic energy? From PE = (1/2)kx2 and F = kx you need to figure out how to get k. It's all come down to algebra.

Bum bum bum. ALGEBRA. So wait maybe I was right and just stopped too soon.

so F = kx
so k=F/x

So 1/2(F/x)x2=PE

So 1/2 * Fx2/x

1/2* Fx =PE ?

No.x=F/k

1/2k(F/k)2

PE=1/2F2/k ?

Force if 67 so 1/2*67^2/k

I think I've just confused myself by working too many different problems...

Last edited:
Zsmitty3 said:

so F = kx
so k=F/x

So 1/2(F/x)x2=PE

So 1/2 * Fx2/x

1/2* Fx =PE ?

This is great. Can you use this to find x? Then you can find k.

Zsmitty3 said:
No.

x=F/k

1/2k(F/k)2

PE=1/2F2/k ?

Force if 67 so 1/2*67^2/k

I think I've just confused myself by working too many different problems...

This will work too! :smile:

TSny said:
This will work too! :smile:

But what does this equal? PE. So 1/2*672/k=PE

k= 672/ 2*PE ? That doesn't make any sense to me though

Quote by Zsmitty3 View Post

so F = kx
so k=F/x

So 1/2(F/x)x2=PE

So 1/2 * Fx2/x

1/2* Fx =PE ?

This is great. Can you use this to find x? Then you can find k.

So to solve for x. Fx=2PE. x=2PE/F
?

Zsmitty3 said:
So to solve for x. Fx=2PE. x=2PE/F
?

Good, that's it. Then get k.

Not sure what to do from there though. Plug that value of x into 1/2kx2 again? And set that equation equal to what? PE? or .576?

So

1/2K(2PE/F)2=PE ?
K*(2PE/F)2=2PE
K=(2PE)/(2PE/F)2?

What value did you get for x?

Zsmitty3 said:
Not sure what to do from there though. Plug that value of x into 1/2kx2 again? And set that equation equal to what? PE? or .576?

Yes, you could do that. But once you have x it might be easier to find k through F = kx.

TSny said:
Yes, you could do that. But once you have x it might be easier to find k through F = kx.

Oh.. Duhh

So k= F/(2PE/F)

k=F2/2PE or is my algebra wrong there?

Zsmitty3 said:
Oh.. Duhh

So k= F/(2PE/F)

k=F2/2PE or is my algebra wrong there?

Well if that's correct

k= 672/(2*.576)

k=3896.7 N/m or
k=~3900 N/m

Likes Bassim Kiani
I think that's right.

Well it's multiple choice and that's once so thanks for hanging in there with me :)

Related to Spring constant for a block sliding PE and KE

1. What is the spring constant of a block?

The spring constant, denoted as k, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the force required to stretch or compress the spring by a certain length. The unit of spring constant is Newtons per meter (N/m).

2. How is the spring constant calculated?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring (F) by the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position (x), i.e. k = F/x. This relationship is known as Hooke's Law.

3. How does the spring constant affect the potential energy of a block?

The potential energy of a block attached to a spring is directly proportional to the square of the spring constant. Therefore, a higher spring constant will result in a higher potential energy for the block-spring system.

4. Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on factors such as the material, length, and diameter of the spring. It can also change if the spring is stretched or compressed beyond its elastic limit.

5. How does the spring constant affect the kinetic energy of a sliding block?

The kinetic energy of a sliding block is directly proportional to the square of the spring constant. Therefore, a higher spring constant will result in a higher kinetic energy for the sliding block.