Spring constant and oscillation expression? Help.

In summary: Yes, that is correct. In summary, the homework statement is that SHM is when F is proportional to displacement,x. For a given displacement, F = -kx. This means that F = ma = kx, and a = kx/m. By analysing SHM and its links with circular motion, you get a = ω^2 x, so ω^2 = k/m.
nukeman

Homework Statement

Here is the question:

sevtpe.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that SHM is: accel = -(constant) (displacement)

Linear from my book says: Ax = Ftotal/m (dont quite get this)

Any help? THanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say they are identical for a given displacement.
F = 2kX in each case

Can you show me how?

I need to be able to write an expression for the net force on block 1, and use it to derive an expression for the period of oscilation, in terms of k and m

In each case I think the force on the block is 2kx (x is the displacement)
I would use this to write an expression for the acceleration (= F/m)
then acc =ω^2x to get an expression for ω^2 then get the time period expression.
get back to me if you cannot do this

technician said:
In each case I think the force on the block is 2kx (x is the displacement)
I would use this to write an expression for the acceleration (= F/m)
then acc =ω^2x to get an expression for ω^2 then get the time period expression.
get back to me if you cannot do this

Having issues with this!

Ok FIRST for a) Write an expression for the net force on block 1 - Let's start with this ok?

Would it not be just: 2kx --- is that correct? Its because there is 2 spring constants.

---->NOW if that is right, let's move onto " Use it to derive an expression for the period of oscillation, in terms of k and m"

I don't know how to get this...?

So if the force = 2kx then acceleration = F/m = 2kx/m
Acceleration = ω^2 x
so ω^2 = 2k/m
Can you get an expression for frequency or time period from this?
ask if you are not sure... but you know the 'rules' of this place... I prefer not to give you the answer directly... you are almost there.

technician said:
So if the force = 2kx then acceleration = F/m = 2kx/m
Acceleration = ω^2 x
so ω^2 = 2k/m
Can you get an expression for frequency or time period from this?
ask if you are not sure... but you know the 'rules' of this place... I prefer not to give you the answer directly... you are almost there.

K wait... acceleration is 2kx/m

Where did "Acceleration = w^2x, so w^2 = 2k/m come from? Can you explain this to me?

Umm: Period = 2pi sqrt(m/2k)

Is that what you mean?

and the frequency would be 1/Period

No problem... be patient
SHM is when F is proportional to displacement,x,
that means F = kx... should be F = -kx because displacement is a vector but forget that for now
This means that F = ma = kx so a = kx/m... looks better like this ... (k/m)x
By analysing SHM and its links with circular motion you get a = ω^2 x, so ω^2 = k/m
In this problem, because there are 2 springs k = 2k
so ω^2 = 2k/m... are you OK now?
I will explain in more detail if you do not get it ! Don't panic ... it is tricky

you have got it:approve:
well done

technician said:
you have got it:approve:
well done

Oh cool. So,

Umm: Period = 2pi sqrt(m/2k)

Is that what you mean?

and the frequency would be 1/Period

This answers a) completely?

I think so

it would be good to have confirmation from another contribution but I am happy with my answer

Related to Spring constant and oscillation expression? Help.

1. What is the spring constant and how is it determined?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant or stiffness, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is determined by dividing the force applied to the spring by the distance the spring is stretched or compressed.

2. What is the formula for calculating the period of oscillation?

The formula for calculating the period of oscillation for a spring-mass system is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object attached to the spring, and k is the spring constant.

3. How does the spring constant affect the oscillation of a spring-mass system?

The spring constant directly affects the frequency of oscillation and the amplitude of the oscillations of a spring-mass system. A higher spring constant results in a higher frequency and smaller amplitude, while a lower spring constant results in a lower frequency and larger amplitude.

4. What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and damped harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is when a system oscillates back and forth with a constant amplitude and frequency. Damped harmonic motion is when the amplitude of the oscillations decreases over time due to an external force, such as friction or air resistance.

5. How does the length of the spring affect the oscillation of a spring-mass system?

The length of the spring affects the frequency of oscillation, but not the amplitude. A longer spring will have a lower frequency and a shorter spring will have a higher frequency. However, the spring constant remains the same regardless of the length of the spring.