Spring/block on horizontal plane SHM

In summary: That's the minimum distance between the points at which the conditions are satisfied.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed and acceleration when the kinetic energy is equal to half the potential energy, and also finding the minimum displacement between points where kinetic energy and acceleration are at half their maximum values. It is acceptable to use the negative time value in the equation for velocity and acceleration. For the second part, there will be an infinite set of points where the conditions arise, but there will be a minimum proximity and it can be calculated by finding the smallest difference between the points where the conditions are satisfied. This does not involve differentiation, as it is not a continuous function.
physninj

Homework Statement

1. Find the speed and acceleration when the kinetic energy is equal to half the potential energy
2. Find the minimum displacement between the points where the kinetic energy and acceleration are at half their maximum values

Homework Equations

mv^2=.5kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

My correct harmonic equations

x(t)=(√2/10)cos(10t+5∏/4)
v(t)=-(√2)sin(10t+5∏/4)
a(t)=-(10*√2)cos(10t+5∏/4)

Got down to for part 1:
arctan(√(1/2))=10t+5∏/4

All I want to know is if its acceptable to use the negative time value that comes from not shifting the output of the inverse tangent, to plug in for velocity and acceleration. Personally I don't see why not.

And for part 2...what the bloody heck are they asking? I suppose I could find the displacements for each of those points and see when they get closest...I don't understand the goal of such a method though.

If you want to see the whole problem I have attached it. Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• snippy.JPG
    snippy.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
for 1, seems fine to me.
For 2, yes, there will be an infinite set of points at which these conditions arise, but there'll be a minimum proximity. Probably something like pi*n*apha+beta and pi*n*alpha+gamma, and you just have to figure out how close such points can get.

So is there some way to set up an equation for those displacements, and use a derivative set to zero to find a minimum? Thats the idea I am having right meow anyways

physninj said:
So is there some way to set up an equation for those displacements, and use a derivative set to zero to find a minimum? Thats the idea I am having right meow anyways

No, you won't use differentiation. It's not minimum in a continuous function. It'll be like sin x = .5; x = π/6, 5π/6, 13π/6, ... Smallest difference = 4π/6.

I would like to provide a response to the given content.

1. To find the speed and acceleration when the kinetic energy is equal to half the potential energy, we can use the equation mv^2 = 0.5kx^2, where m is the mass, v is the velocity, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement. Rearranging this equation, we get v = ±√(kx^2/2m). Since the kinetic energy is equal to half the potential energy, we can substitute 0.5kx^2 for mv^2, which gives us v = ±√(kx^2/4m). Similarly, we can obtain the acceleration by differentiating the equation twice, which gives us a = ±(kx/m). Therefore, the speed and acceleration when the kinetic energy is equal to half the potential energy is given by v = ±√(kx^2/4m) and a = ±(kx/m), respectively.

2. To find the minimum displacement between the points where the kinetic energy and acceleration are at half their maximum values, we need to find the maximum values of kinetic energy and acceleration. The maximum kinetic energy will occur at the equilibrium position (x = 0), where the displacement is zero. Therefore, the maximum kinetic energy is given by 0.5k(0)^2 = 0. Similarly, the maximum acceleration will occur at the maximum displacement, which is given by the amplitude of oscillation. Therefore, the maximum acceleration is given by kA/m, where A is the amplitude. Now, we need to find the minimum displacement between the points where the kinetic energy and acceleration are at half their maximum values. This can be done by setting the kinetic energy and acceleration equations equal to half their maximum values and solving for x. So, we have 0.5kx^2 = 0.5kA^2/4 and kx/m = kA/2m. Solving these equations, we get x = ±A/√2. Therefore, the minimum displacement between the points where the kinetic energy and acceleration are at half their maximum values is given by ±A/√2.

In conclusion, it is acceptable to use the negative time value obtained from the inverse tangent to plug in for velocity and acceleration. And for part 2, the goal is to find

Related to Spring/block on horizontal plane SHM

1. What is SHM and how does it relate to a spring/block on a horizontal plane?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion, and it refers to a type of oscillatory motion in which the displacement of an object is directly proportional to its restoring force. In the case of a spring/block on a horizontal plane, the spring provides the restoring force and the block moves back and forth in a straight line along the horizontal plane.

2. What is the equation for the period of a spring/block on a horizontal plane SHM?

The equation for the period of a spring/block on a horizontal plane SHM is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the block, and k is the spring constant.

3. How does the amplitude affect the motion of a spring/block on a horizontal plane?

The amplitude of the spring/block on a horizontal plane SHM determines the maximum displacement of the block from its equilibrium position. A larger amplitude will result in a larger displacement and a longer period, while a smaller amplitude will result in a shorter period.

4. What is the relationship between the spring constant and the period of a spring/block on a horizontal plane SHM?

The spring constant, k, is directly proportional to the period, T, of a spring/block on a horizontal plane SHM. This means that as the spring constant increases, the period also increases, and vice versa.

5. How does the mass of the block affect the motion of a spring/block on a horizontal plane SHM?

The mass of the block does not affect the period of a spring/block on a horizontal plane SHM, but it does affect the amplitude and the maximum velocity of the block. A larger mass will result in a smaller amplitude and a slower maximum velocity, while a smaller mass will result in a larger amplitude and a faster maximum velocity.