Spring, Block, KE, PE, Incline Problem: Why is KE=ZERO?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block and a spring on an inclined plane. The block is compressed against the spring and then released, and the question is why the change in kinetic energy is equal to zero. It is explained that this is because the initial and final states of the block are both stationary, meaning its velocity is zero at both points. This is true regardless of whether there is friction present on the incline or not. The solutions for the distance the block moves up the incline in both scenarios are also provided.
ladyrx2020
Spring, Block, KE, PE, Incline Problem: Why is KE=ZERO??

A 250 g block is pressed against a spring of force constant 1500 N/m until the block compresses the spring 8.0 cm. The spring rests at the bottom of a ramp inclined at 60.0 degrees to the horizontal. Using energy considerations, determine how far up the incline the block moves from its initial position before it stops if:

a) the ramp exerts no friction force on the block

b) if the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.400

Can someone explain to me why is the change in kinetic energy = to zero??

The solutions says KE is zero because initial and final states are stationary. What does that mean? Doesn't the box move...

Maybe I don't fully understand the concepts...

Answers:
a) 2.26 m
b) 1.84 m

Physics news on Phys.org

ladyrx2020 said:
Can someone explain to me why is the change in kinetic energy = to zero??

When you start, your velocity is zero, when you stop it's zero again.

mishek said:
When you start, your velocity is zero, when you stop it's zero again.

Ohhh! I see! Wow that was a quick reply to my first post ever. Hahaha thanks a bunch! x3 :!)

Related to Spring, Block, KE, PE, Incline Problem: Why is KE=ZERO?

1. How is kinetic energy related to spring, block, incline problems?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In the context of a spring, block, incline problem, kinetic energy is the energy the block has due to its motion down the incline.

2. Why does kinetic energy equal zero in these types of problems?

In these types of problems, the block starts from rest at the top of the incline. This means it has no initial velocity and therefore no kinetic energy. As it moves down the incline, its potential energy is converted to kinetic energy, but at the top of the incline, its kinetic energy is zero.

3. Can kinetic energy ever be negative in these problems?

No, kinetic energy cannot be negative in these problems. Kinetic energy is always a positive value as it is dependent on the velocity of the object, which is always a positive value.

4. How does the mass of the block affect the kinetic energy in these problems?

The mass of the block does not affect the kinetic energy in these problems. Kinetic energy is only dependent on the velocity of the object, not its mass.

5. Is there any other factor that can affect the kinetic energy in these problems?

The only other factor that can affect the kinetic energy in these problems is the incline angle. A steeper incline will result in a greater change in potential energy, which will be converted to kinetic energy as the block moves down the incline.