Spring and Gravity Potential Energies

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum distance a spring will be compressed when a 2-kg block is dropped onto it from a height of 0.4 m, with a spring constant of 1960 N/m. The method used assumes the spring is compressed a negligible amount, resulting in a solution of x = 0.089 m. However, there is some discrepancy with the teacher's answer of 1.00 m.
brendan3eb

Homework Statement

A 2-kg block is dropped from a height of 0.4 m onto a spring force whose constant k is 1960 N/m. Find the maximum distance the spring will be compressed.

Homework Equations

U1+K1=U2+K2

The Attempt at a Solution

both the initial and final kinetic energy should be 0 so we should get an equation like this:
mgh=(1/2)kx^2+mg(value)

I can't find an expression to put in for value that only has x and no other unknown variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
The expression you have will work.

Hint: Let the lowest point the block reaches be h=0m.

so I would substitute 0 in for value to get x = .089 m, correct? Yeah, that's what I have been getting. However, my teacher told me the answer is 1.00 m. I am starting to wonder if he read off the wrong answer. Do you get .089 m too?

I also get .089m. Check to make sure your numbers and units are correct. If they are, then I suggest talking to your teacher about it. Even teachers aren't perfect!:smile:

Technically, the method we are using assumed the spring is compressed a negligible amount, but I think this is a reasonable assumption that wouldn't change the answer that much.

Last edited:

Related to Spring and Gravity Potential Energies

1. What is spring potential energy?

Spring potential energy is the energy stored in a stretched or compressed spring. It is a type of potential energy that is a result of the force exerted by a spring, and is dependent on the distance the spring is stretched or compressed.

2. How is the potential energy of a spring calculated?

The potential energy of a spring can be calculated using the formula PE = 1/2kx^2, where PE is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is stretched or compressed.

3. What is gravity potential energy?

Gravity potential energy is the energy an object possesses because of its position in a gravitational field. It is dependent on the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the object above a reference point.

4. How is the potential energy of an object in a gravitational field calculated?

The potential energy of an object in a gravitational field can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where PE is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above a reference point.

5. What is the relationship between spring and gravity potential energies?

Spring and gravity potential energies are both types of potential energy that depend on an object's position. They are both affected by the distance an object is stretched or compressed, and both can be converted into kinetic energy when the object is released. However, spring potential energy is dependent on the force exerted by a spring, while gravity potential energy is dependent on the object's mass and position in a gravitational field.