Spring and Energy Conservation

In summary: It was really helpful. In summary, the question is asking how far a spring will stretch before it stops moving, not how far it will stretch without any tension.Thank you so much for the explanation. It was really helpful.
CaglarKorkmazgoz
Homework Statement
Find the stretch of spring (x=L)
Relevant Equations
mg=T
mg=mgu+kx
mg=(mg/4)+kx
(3mg/4k)=x=L
Hello, I am new on this forum, so if I make any mistakes please inform me. Thank you.

I wonder why I cannot use forces instead of energy conservation in this question.
The question is:
"How far (x = L) does the spring stretch before the masses stop moving? Express your answer in terms of m, k and some constants as needed."
Screenshot_1.jpg

Here is my attempt but of course it is wrong (I imagined the last situation which is equilibrium), the answer should be (3mg)/2k:
WhatsApp Image 2019-12-30 at 23.55.45.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
CaglarKorkmazgoz said:
I wonder why I cannot use forces instead of energy conservation in this question.
Because once released, the hanging mass will drop beyond the equilibrium point. You are solving for the maximum stretch, not the equilibrium position. (At least that's what I presume they are asking for.)

Likes CaglarKorkmazgoz
Doc Al said:
Because once released, the hanging mass will drop beyond the equilibrium point. You are solving for the maximum stretch, not the equilibrium position. (At least that's what I presume they are asking for.)
I think the problem is the difference between the coefficient of kinetic and static frictions, but I will think about that. Thank you

CaglarKorkmazgoz said:
I think the problem is the difference between the coefficient of kinetic and static frictions, but I will think about that. Thank you
The request "How far (x = L) does the spring stretch before the masses stop moving?" is a bit ambiguous. I assumed they meant momentarily stop moving, but it's unclear. (I see no mention of static friction here.)

Likes CaglarKorkmazgoz
Doc Al said:
(I see no mention of static friction here.)

At final, it will stop moving, so there will not be any kinetic friction, it will be static friction I guess. But the only given quantity is about coefficient of kinetic friction so that when I try to use "Force equality" it gives me a wrong answer.

If you interpret the question as I did, you'll get the "right" answer. :wink:

CaglarKorkmazgoz said:
At final, it will stop moving, so there will not be any kinetic friction
Until it has stopped moving, at least instantaneously, it is kinetic friction. So static friction has no relevance to how far it moves. You would need to know the static friction if you wanted to find out whether it then starts to move back again.
CaglarKorkmazgoz said:
when I try to use "Force equality" it gives me a wrong answer
That's because that method overlooks the momentum built up during the expansion of the spring.
If, instead, you wanted to know how far away you could carefully position the mass without its then moving to the left you would have used spring force balancing static friction.

Likes Doc Al and CaglarKorkmazgoz
haruspex said:
Until it has stopped moving, at least instantaneously, it is kinetic friction. So static friction has no relevance to how far it moves. You would need to know the static friction if you wanted to find out whether it then starts to move back again.

That's because that method overlooks the momentum built up during the expansion of the spring.
If, instead, you wanted to know how far away you could carefully position the mass without its then moving to the left you would have used spring force balancing static friction.
Thank you so much for the explanation

Related to Spring and Energy Conservation

1. What is Spring and Energy Conservation?

Spring and energy conservation is a scientific concept that explains the relationship between the force exerted by a spring and the energy it stores. It states that the energy stored in a spring is directly proportional to the force applied to it, and inversely proportional to the spring's stiffness or spring constant.

2. How does a spring store energy?

A spring stores energy by deforming or stretching when a force is applied to it. This deformation results in potential energy being stored in the spring. When the force is released, the spring returns to its original shape, releasing the stored energy.

3. What is the equation for calculating the potential energy stored in a spring?

The equation for calculating the potential energy stored in a spring is PE = 1/2 kx^2, where PE is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

4. How does energy conservation apply to a spring-mass system?

In a spring-mass system, energy conservation states that the total energy of the system, including kinetic and potential energy, remains constant as long as there is no external force acting on the system. This means that the energy stored in the spring is equal to the kinetic energy of the mass attached to the spring.

5. What is the relationship between spring stiffness and energy conservation?

The stiffness of a spring, represented by its spring constant, determines how much energy it can store. A stiffer spring will have a higher spring constant and will store more energy for a given force compared to a less stiff spring. Therefore, energy conservation is directly affected by the stiffness of the spring.