Spring and conservation of energy

In summary, the given problem involves a spring pulled back 0.2 meters and a ball fired with a mass of 1kg. The ball travels 5 meters before stopping 1.5 meters below its firing position on a table. The problem can be solved using conservation of energy and momentum, and straight line motion equations. However, when calculating the speed in the y direction, the Δx should be measured from the table edge and the time taken should be measured from the moment the ball leaves the table.
cap.r

Homework Statement

a spring is pulled back .2 meters and a ball is fired. the ball travels 5 meters before stopping 1.5 meters bellow it's firing position which was on a table. there is a picture that I have drawn and attached in a pdf. I have also listed all the givens except the mass. i forgot to do that one. the mass is given and is 1kg.

Homework Equations

conservation of energy.
1/2kx^2 = 1/mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

also attached in the pdf. i figured it would be easier since there is a picture and lots of equations.

only allowed to use conservation of energy and momentum. also straight line motion stuff. no calc.

Attachments

• New Section 1.pdf
    55.3 KB · Views: 194
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me. You started out with: 1/2kx2 + mgh = 1/2mv2, which is true but not helpful. You then switched to 1/2kx2 = 1/2mvx2, which is better.

but the big assumption i made was that tx=ty here. the ball travels on the surface of the table and then falls off... so only then does it start traveling in the y direction. so wouldn't the ty timer start ticking when this happens? which is long after the tx timer has started... or do both timers start when the projectile starts and the y direction just breaks into two problems with different accelerations?

I think I see what you're asking. When you compute the speed using Vx = Δx/ty, the Δx should be measured from the table edge (where the ball leaves the table), not the starting point back at the spring. And ty is the time it takes to fall, also measured from the moment the ball leaves the table.

Related to Spring and conservation of energy

1. How does a spring store energy?

A spring stores energy in the form of potential energy due to its ability to stretch or compress. When a force is applied to a spring, it deforms and stores energy in the form of potential energy. This stored potential energy is released when the force is removed and the spring returns to its original shape.

2. What is the relationship between a spring's stiffness and its potential energy?

The stiffness of a spring, also known as its spring constant, is directly proportional to its potential energy. This means that the stiffer the spring, the more potential energy it can store. This relationship is described by Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position.

3. Can the conservation of energy be applied to a spring?

Yes, the conservation of energy principle can be applied to a spring. This principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In the case of a spring, the potential energy stored in the spring is transformed into kinetic energy as the spring returns to its original shape.

4. How does the height of a spring's potential energy change as it is compressed or stretched?

The potential energy of a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. This means that as the spring is compressed or stretched, its potential energy increases or decreases, respectively. When the spring is at its equilibrium position, it has no potential energy.

5. Can a spring's potential energy ever be completely converted into kinetic energy?

No, a spring's potential energy can never be completely converted into kinetic energy due to the loss of energy through factors such as friction and air resistance. This is known as energy dissipation, and it is a common occurrence in real-world systems. However, in idealized systems with no external factors, the potential energy of a spring can be fully converted into kinetic energy.