Spontaneous parametric down-conversion practicalities

In summary, the conversation discusses the generation of entangled photons from barium borate and raises questions about the properties of these photons, their use in experiments, and the necessary equipment. The expert provides answers, explaining the differences between type I and type II PDC crystals, the need for coincidence counting, and the importance of using a laser tuned to the proper wavelength. They also recommend a helpful article for further information.
auspaco
I'm interested in generating entangled photons from barium borate but have a few questions:

1) Taking one of the virgin entangled photons- before any measurements - does it have a random polarization? Ie, if I put any polarizer in its path will 50% of photons make it through?

2) I know that the entangled photons are emitted off the main axis (? approx 3 degrees) - can this be used to ensure that only entangled photons are used - ie without the need for a coincidence counter? Would a narrow bandwidth filter help?

3) Could I buy a cheap blue laser from a standard electronics store and expect it to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
auspaco said:
I'm interested in generating entangled photons from barium borate but have a few questions:

1) Taking one of the virgin entangled photons- before any measurements - does it have a random polarization? Ie, if I put any polarizer in its path will 50% of photons make it through?

2) I know that the entangled photons are emitted off the main axis (? approx 3 degrees) - can this be used to ensure that only entangled photons are used - ie without the need for a coincidence counter? Would a narrow bandwidth filter help?

3) Could I buy a cheap blue laser from a standard electronics store and expect it to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to PhysicsForums, auspaco!

1. Yes and no. There are 2 main types of PDC crystals, called Type I and Type II.

Most type II have the attribute you seek, which is random polarization at any angle. Technically, they are 50% V>H> and 50% H>V> which is essentially the same thing. (Not sure if the input orientation is important or not.)

But Type I are a bit tricky. You need 2 Type I crystals, oriented at a right angle to each other. A V> input becomes a H>H> output for one crystal and an H> input becomes a V>V> output for the other (at a right angle). You must have the input stream oriented at 45 degrees to get the proper entanglement from the output pairs.

2. Again yes and no. The off axis part will be the entangled pairs. Single photons go straight through. But coincidence counting is needed for a variety of reasons, so I doubt you will be able to avoid that.

3. No, you must use a laser tuned to the proper wavelength for the BBO crystal. Usually you see stuff on the order of 405 nm input, which becomes 810 nm output.

You have probably seen this, but if not here is a good article with a detail parts list:

Thorn, Beck et al (2003): Observing the quantum behavior of light in an undergraduate laboratory

I hope this helps.-DrC

Thanks for the speedy reply! Very helpful :)

Related to Spontaneous parametric down-conversion practicalities

What is spontaneous parametric down-conversion (SPDC) and why is it important in scientific research?

Spontaneous parametric down-conversion is a process in which a single photon is split into two photons with lower energy. This phenomenon is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to study the fundamental properties of light and its interactions with matter.

How is SPDC practically achieved in a laboratory setting?

In a laboratory, SPDC is typically achieved by using a nonlinear crystal, such as beta barium borate (BBO), that can split a photon into two lower energy photons through the process of spontaneous parametric down-conversion. The crystal is usually placed in a laser beam to provide the initial photon.

What are some common challenges when working with SPDC and how can they be overcome?

Some common challenges when working with SPDC include low conversion efficiency, difficulty in aligning the setup, and high background noise. These challenges can be overcome by using high-quality crystals, precise alignment techniques, and efficient filtering methods to reduce noise.

How is SPDC used in quantum communication and cryptography?

SPDC is used in quantum communication and cryptography to generate entangled photon pairs that can be used for secure communication. By splitting a single photon into two entangled photons, the information of one photon can be used to determine the state of the other, allowing for secure transmission of data.

What are some potential applications of SPDC in other fields of science?

In addition to its applications in quantum communication and cryptography, SPDC has potential applications in fields such as quantum computing, quantum metrology, and imaging. It can also be used to study quantum entanglement and nonlocality, as well as investigate the properties of single photons and their interactions with matter.