Spontaneous generated coherence

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help understanding spontaneously generated coherence (SGC). They explain that SGC occurs when a three-level atom decays to lower levels and the final state of the atom becomes a coherent superposition of states. They also mention another question they have about what makes a superposition of states a coherent superposition. They express their appreciation for any help on this topic.
vtahmoorian
Hi everyone
Is there anyone who can explain when does Spontaneously generated coherence(SGC) happen and how?
Thank you in advance
Vahideh

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Thank you dear Greg for your comment,
actually I started to study more about it and found that SGC happens when we are dealing with decays in an atom, when a three level Landa type atom (for example) decays to lower levels and the final state of the atom becomes a coherent superposition of states, we will have SGC , I came up with another question that "What makes a superposition of states a coherent superposition?" , and I wrote it in the forum too.now as I am more investigating I face more challenges that I have asked under the title of:" What makes a superposition of states a coherent superposition?"
Thank you again and if anyone can help me on this question too , I will appreciate .

Related to Spontaneous generated coherence

What is spontaneous generated coherence?

Spontaneous generated coherence (SGC) is a phenomenon that occurs in certain systems, such as lasers, where a large number of particles behave in a collective manner and exhibit coherent behavior without any external stimulation or input.

How does SGC differ from stimulated emission?

In stimulated emission, a photon is emitted from an excited atom or molecule due to the presence of an external electromagnetic field. In contrast, SGC does not require an external field and instead arises from the collective behavior of particles within the system.

What is the significance of SGC in laser technology?

SGC plays a crucial role in the operation of lasers by providing a mechanism for the amplification of light. In a laser, SGC allows for the creation of a population inversion, where more atoms or molecules are in an excited state than in a lower energy state, leading to the emission of a coherent beam of light.

Can SGC occur in natural systems?

Yes, SGC has been observed in various natural systems, such as biological systems and atmospheric gases. In these cases, the coherence arises from the collective behavior of particles within the system, similar to how it occurs in lasers.

What are the potential applications of SGC?

SGC has potential applications in various fields, including quantum information processing, optical sensing, and spectroscopy. It also has potential uses in developing more efficient and precise lasers and other optical devices.