Spontaneous disintegration in classical mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about a specific equation in Landau's Mechanics book and how to arrive at it using the quadratic formula. The formula is used to solve for the equation's first and second terms, which can be tricky. One participant also mentions other equations in the book being annoying to arrive at.
ilp89
Could someone demonstrate to me how in Landau's Mechanics book, he gets from equation (16.5)

tan θ = (v_0 sin θ_0) / (v_0 cos θ_0 + V)

to equation (16.6)

cos θ_0 = -(V/v_0) sin^2 θ ± cos θ √[1 - (V/v_0)^2 sin^2 θ]

I am using the quadratic formula, and the first term on the right comes out fine, but I can't get the second term.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It worked out for me. What did you get for the quadratic you needed to solve and what did you get for the discriminant?

Oh boy, I remember doing that one
a lot of the equations in those books are quite annoying (not 'hard' exactly) to arrive at.
you just need to make use of [itex]sin=\sqrt{1-cos^2}[/itex]

there are a lot more tricky ones later on though so good luck :devil:

Related to Spontaneous disintegration in classical mechanics

1. What is spontaneous disintegration in classical mechanics?

Spontaneous disintegration in classical mechanics refers to the phenomenon where a system spontaneously breaks apart into smaller, more stable components without any external force or energy acting on it.

2. How does spontaneous disintegration occur in classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, spontaneous disintegration can occur through various mechanisms such as radioactive decay, nuclear fission, and chemical reactions. These processes involve the release of energy, causing the system to break apart into smaller, more stable components.

3. Is spontaneous disintegration a random process?

Yes, spontaneous disintegration is considered a random process in classical mechanics. The exact timing and outcome of the disintegration cannot be predicted, as it is dependent on the individual particles and their interactions within the system.

4. Can spontaneous disintegration be reversed?

In classical mechanics, spontaneous disintegration is an irreversible process. Once a system has undergone spontaneous disintegration, it cannot return to its original state without external intervention.

5. What are the practical applications of studying spontaneous disintegration in classical mechanics?

The study of spontaneous disintegration in classical mechanics has many practical applications, such as understanding the decay of radioactive elements, designing nuclear reactors, and predicting the stability of chemical compounds. It also has implications in fields such as medicine, where radioactive decay is used for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes.