Spontaneous Decomposition of 1,3-Cyclohexadiene: Curiosity or Reality?

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curiosity
In summary, the phrase "Curiosity kills, I guess" is a cautionary reminder that excessive curiosity can lead to negative consequences. It is believed to have originated from a combination of the proverb "Curiosity killed the cat" and the idiom "I guess". However, it is not meant to discourage curiosity altogether, but rather to encourage caution and thoughtfulness. Excessive curiosity can be harmful or deadly, but it can be balanced by approaching it cautiously and seeking guidance from experts.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
I was wondering if 1,3-Cyclohexadiene would spontaneously decompose into the more stable benzene + hydrogen gas. Would it?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
At what temperature/pressure?

Oops, sorry about that. I'm too used to assuming STP.

273 K and 1 atm.

It doesn't, no.

To answer the question more generally, the reason why things don't spontaneously combust is that you've got an transition-state barrier. You need an 'activation energy' for the reaction to happen.

Aldrich sells 1,3-cyclohexadiene for $45.60 per 5 mL, $534.00 for the economy-sized 100 mL vial...

Ah, I see.

Thank you for expanding my homegrown knowledge of organic chemistry.

Related to Spontaneous Decomposition of 1,3-Cyclohexadiene: Curiosity or Reality?

1. What does the phrase "Curiosity kills, I guess" mean?

The phrase "Curiosity kills, I guess" is often used to caution against being too curious or nosy about something, as it can lead to negative consequences.

2. Where did the phrase "Curiosity kills, I guess" originate from?

The exact origin of the phrase is unknown, but it is believed to have originated from a combination of the proverb "Curiosity killed the cat" and the idiom "I guess".

3. Is "Curiosity kills, I guess" meant to discourage curiosity?

No, the phrase is not meant to discourage curiosity altogether. It is simply a reminder to be cautious and think before acting on one's curiosity.

4. Can curiosity actually be harmful or deadly?

In some cases, yes. Excessive curiosity can lead to dangerous situations, such as exploring unknown or restricted areas, or interfering with potentially harmful objects or substances.

5. How can we balance our curiosity without putting ourselves in danger?

The key is to approach curiosity with caution and thoughtfulness. Ask yourself if the potential risks outweigh the benefits of satisfying your curiosity. It's also important to educate yourself and seek guidance from experts before pursuing potentially dangerous curiosities.