Spivak's Differential Geometry I

In summary, it is not necessary to finish Spivak's little book before moving on to his Differential Geometry I, as the material on differential forms and integration on manifolds is covered in the latter book. However, the material is presented in a more abstract way and having some familiarity with Calculus on Manifolds may help with understanding. It is also recommended to read the little book first as it may be easier to finish and provide intuition for the topics in the differential geometry book.
sammycaps
Is it necessary to finish Spivak's little book to move on to Spivak's Differential Geometry I, or is the material on differential forms and integration on manifolds in Chapter's 4 and 5 of Spivak's little book covered in Differential Geometry I?

Physics news on Phys.org
The material is all covered in his differential geometry book. However, the material is covered in a more abstract way than in his Calculus on Manifolds book. It might help to know Calculus on Manifolds in order to get intuition for what he's doing in his differential geometry book.

Ok, thanks very much.

i also recommend reading the little book first. for one thing you are more likely to finish it. i love mike's book's, but personally think that (especially the first part of) vol. 1 is a little on the long and tedious side. the actual differential geometry is in volume 2.

It is not necessary to finish Spivak's little book in order to move on to Spivak's Differential Geometry I. The material on differential forms and integration on manifolds in Chapters 4 and 5 of Spivak's little book is covered in Differential Geometry I. However, completing the little book may provide a stronger foundation and deeper understanding of the concepts in Differential Geometry I. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide if they feel comfortable enough with the material in the little book to move on to the next level.

Related to Spivak's Differential Geometry I

1. What is Spivak's Differential Geometry I?

Spivak's Differential Geometry I is a textbook written by mathematician Michael Spivak that provides an introduction to differential geometry, a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces in space.

2. Who is Spivak and why is his textbook important?

Michael Spivak is a renowned mathematician who has made significant contributions to the field of differential geometry. His textbook, Differential Geometry I, is highly regarded for its clear and rigorous treatment of the subject, making it an important resource for students and researchers alike.

3. Is Spivak's Differential Geometry I suitable for beginners?

Spivak's Differential Geometry I is often recommended as an introductory text for students with a strong background in calculus and linear algebra. While it can be challenging for beginners, it provides a solid foundation for further study in differential geometry.

4. What topics are covered in Spivak's Differential Geometry I?

The textbook covers a range of topics including curves in space, the geometry of curves, surfaces in space, the geometry of surfaces, and the Gauss-Bonnet theorem. It also includes exercises and problems to reinforce the concepts presented.

5. Is Spivak's Differential Geometry I still relevant?

Yes, Spivak's Differential Geometry I is still considered a valuable resource for studying differential geometry. While it was first published in 1979, the concepts and techniques it covers are still widely used in current research and applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering.