Spins 1/2 and Time-Dependant Perturbation Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two spins 1/2 particles coupled by an interaction of the form H=\alpha(t)\vec{S_{1}}*\vec{S_{2}}. The first part involves finding the probability of finding the system in a specific state with first-order perturbation theory, and the second part involves solving the problem with the Schrodinger equation. The solution for the second part is derived using the suggestion of using the exact equation $\displaystylei\hbar \frac{db_{n}}{dt}=\sum_{k} exp(iw_{nk}t)W_{nk}b_{k}(t)$ and comparing it with the result from the first part. The conversation
Erythro73

Homework Statement

We consider two spins 1/2, [itex] \vec{S_{1}}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{S_{2}}[/itex], coupled by an interaction of the form [itex]H=\alpha(t)\vec{S_{1}}*\vec{S_{2}}[/itex]. [itex]\alpha(t)[/itex] is a function of time who approches 0 for |t|-->infinity and takes appreciable values only in the interval of [itex][-\tau,\tau][/itex] near 0.

a) À t=-infinity, the system is in the state |+->. What is the probability of finding the particle in the state |-+> for t=infinity with the first order perturbation theory.

b) Prove that we can solve exactly this problem with the Schrodinger equation. Suggestion : you can start with the exact equation
[itex] $\displaystylei\hbar \frac{db_{n}}{dt}=\sum_{k} exp(iw_{nk}t)W_{nk}b_{k}(t)$ [/itex]

for the b(t) coefficients. Comparing this result with part a), what conditions is required so that perturbation theory is correct?

Homework Equations

[itex] $\displaystyle \frac{d^{2}b}{dt^{2}}= \frac{db_{n}}{dt}(\frac{d\alpha}{dt}\frac{1}{\alpha}+C_{1}\alpha)+C_{2}\alpha^2 b$ [/itex]

have the solution

[itex]$ b(t)=Aexp(C_{+}\int_{-inf}^{inf}\alpha(t')dt')+Bexp(C_{-}\int_{-infinity}^{t}\alpha(t')dt'$[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
Ok. So, the first thing I did is write [itex]\vec{S_{1}}*\vec{S_{2}}=\frac{1}{2}(S_{1+}S_{2-}+S{1-}S{2+}+2S{1z}S{2z})[/itex].
I calculated that
[itex]\frac{1}{2}<-+|S_{1+}S_{2-}|+->=0[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{2}<-+|S_{1-}S_{2+}|+->=\frac{\hbar^2}{4}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{2}<-+|Sz1Sz2|+->=0[/itex]

So, I used
[itex]P=\frac{1}{2}\left|\int_{-inf}^{inf}dt'exp(iwt')\alpha(t)<-+|\vec{S_{1}}*\vec{S_{2}}|+->|\right|^2[/itex]

which finally gave
[itex] P=\frac{\hbar^2}{4}\left| \int_{-inf}^{inf} dt' exp(iwt') \alpha(t') \right| ^2 [/itex]

That's as far as I can go as I don't know [itex] \alpha(t) [/itex].

b) Well... there's the problem. I start with the suggestion,
[itex] $\displaystylei\hbar \frac{db_{n}}{dt}=\sum_{k} exp(iw_{nk}t)W_{nk}b_{k}(t)$ [/itex]

I have no clue of where to start from that. Basically, I have to jump from the last equation I wrote to the equations written in the relevant equations. So, I'll try to make what I think, but this could be very wrong.

[itex] $\displaystylei\hbar \frac{db_{0}}{dt}=exp(iw_{01}t)W_{10}b_{1}(t)$ [/itex]
Let's say that, for the sake of me not writing more in this already long post, that [itex] W(t)=\alpha(t)*K [/itex]

We have [itex] $\displaystylei\hbar \frac{db_{0}}{dt}=exp(iw_{01}t)K\alpha(t)b_{1}(t)$ [/itex]

Now, I'm stuck. I can't take the derivative whit respect to time at each side, because I don't know the b's.

Have a clue? :S

Thank you for reading me!
Erythro73

Physics news on Phys.org
If I don't have any answer yet... Is it because my thread is badly done (have I forgot to put something?) or because nobody has a clue? :S

I'm still searching on my part.

Related to Spins 1/2 and Time-Dependant Perturbation Theory

1. What is a spin 1/2 particle?

A spin 1/2 particle is a type of fundamental particle in quantum mechanics that has an intrinsic angular momentum of 1/2 h-bar, where h-bar is the reduced Planck's constant. Examples of spin 1/2 particles include electrons, protons, and neutrons.

2. What is time-dependant perturbation theory?

Time-dependant perturbation theory is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to solve the Schrödinger equation for a system that is being influenced by an external force. It allows for the calculation of the probability amplitudes of different energy states of the system at different points in time.

3. How does spin 1/2 affect time-dependant perturbation theory?

Spin 1/2 particles are treated differently in time-dependant perturbation theory compared to particles with different spin values. This is because spin 1/2 particles have two possible spin states (up and down), which leads to additional terms in the perturbation theory equations.

4. What are the applications of spins 1/2 and time-dependant perturbation theory?

Spins 1/2 and time-dependant perturbation theory have various applications in fields such as condensed matter physics, nuclear physics, and quantum information processing. They are used to understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level and to make predictions about their interactions with external forces.

5. Are there any limitations to using spins 1/2 and time-dependant perturbation theory?

One limitation of using spins 1/2 and time-dependant perturbation theory is that it assumes the external force acting on the system is small. If the force is too large, the perturbation theory may not accurately predict the behavior of the system. Additionally, it may not be applicable to systems with high energy or high speeds, as relativistic effects must be taken into account.