Spinor Decomposition of a tensor

In summary, the conversation discusses the decomposition of a second rank tensor into spin-2, spin-1, and spin-0 parts, and suggests studying group theory and spinors in order to better understand this concept. Some recommended references include "Field Theory: A Modern Primer" by P. Ramond and "The Theory of Spinors" by Elie Cartan.
njoshi3
Hi,

I have heard, that a second rank tensor can always be decompose into a spin-2, a spin-1 and spin-0 part, being reducible. I want to pursue this further. Can anyone suggest me a nice reference for it?

TIA

Nikhil

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to know a little bit about group theory,namely Lie groups and their representations...Then u can attack this sort of problems emerging in QFT.

So my advice is:any group theory books which covers SU(2),SO(3)...and then try the first chapter from P.Ramond :"Field Theory:A Modern Primer"...

Daniel.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks

Hi, my answer comes a little bit late but I would propose the following reference if you want to learn more about spinors: "The Theory of spinors" (Elie Cartan) -e.g.: Dover Books- ISBN 0-486-64070-1 / Blackforest

Related to Spinor Decomposition of a tensor

1. What is a spinor decomposition of a tensor?

A spinor decomposition of a tensor is a mathematical technique used to break down a higher-order tensor into smaller components called spinors. Spinors are mathematical objects that represent the symmetries of a physical system, and they are used to simplify the calculations involved in working with tensors.

2. Why is spinor decomposition important in physics?

Spinor decomposition is important in physics because it allows for a more efficient and accurate way of representing and manipulating physical quantities. It is particularly useful in fields such as quantum mechanics and general relativity, where tensors are used extensively to describe the behavior of particles and the geometry of space-time.

3. How is a tensor decomposed into spinors?

A tensor is decomposed into spinors using a mathematical operation called a Clebsch-Gordan decomposition. This involves breaking down the tensor into a sum of simpler tensors, each of which corresponds to a specific spinor. The resulting spinors can then be manipulated and combined to reconstruct the original tensor.

4. What are the advantages of using spinor decomposition?

One of the main advantages of spinor decomposition is that it simplifies the calculations involved in working with tensors. By breaking down a higher-order tensor into smaller spinors, the amount of information needed to represent the tensor is reduced, making it easier to analyze and manipulate. Spinor decomposition also allows for a more intuitive understanding of the physical properties of a tensor.

5. Are there any limitations to spinor decomposition?

While spinor decomposition is a powerful technique, it does have its limitations. In some cases, it may not be possible to decompose a tensor into spinors, or the resulting spinors may be too complex to work with. Additionally, spinor decomposition is not a universal method and may only be applicable to certain types of tensors and physical systems.