Spinning disk, length contraction, & equivalence principle

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of the circumference of a spinning disk and the concept of length contraction in a rotating frame. It is noted that the value of pi remains the same, but the ratio of circumference to diameter is not equal to pi in a rotating frame. The concept of the equivalence principle is also brought up, and it is argued that in a non-uniform gravitational field, there can be distorted spatial geometry and gravitational time dilation. However, it is clarified that this time dilation is not caused by acceleration, but rather by the difference in potential between positions. The equivalence principle also applies to both accelerated/rotating frames and gravitational fields near a large mass. The conversation ends with a clarification on the restrictions for observers on a spinning
Sorcerer
Suppose we have a spinning disk with a very fast spin, an observer in the center, and an observer on the edge. Suppose that the observer on the edge measures the circumference of the spinning disk.

(1) Now, the observer on the edge at a given instant will be moving at a faster speed than the observer in the center. Therefore according to the Center observer the Edge's ruler will be length contracted at that instant, right? And should his clock run slow according to the Center observer over an infinitesimal instant? And for each subsequent instant?

(2) Suppose the Edge observer measures the circumference. If he calculates π based on his measurement, he should get a different answer than if the disk was at rest, correct?

(3) Equivalence principle: I know this is not the same situation as the elevator acceleration thought experiment, but would this indicate that in a gravitational field there should also be length contraction? (since the accelerating disk should have length contraction at instantaneous moments where the speed is calculated)
Or is this entirely invalid?Thanks for the replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
The issue of the circumference of the spinning disk is Ehrenfest's paradox. There is so much written about it that I really wish I had some citation indices so I could be sure I was recommending the consensus resolution.

I'm afraid I can't vouch for it's popularity, but I find the arguments of Rizzi and Ruggerio to be my personal recommendation. See for instance https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0207104. You will find a broad agreement, though, that the ratio of the circumference to the diameter is not equal to pi in the rotating frame, though. Note that the value of pi itself is not frame dependent. Thus if you calculate pi, you'll get the same value you always did. It's just that the ratio of the circumference to the diameter will not be the number pi.

I don't understand your point 3 at all, sorry. I don't think there's any reason to believe that "a gravitatioanl field" causes "length contraction".

Sorcerer said:
(3) Equivalence principle: I know this is not the same situation as the elevator acceleration thought experiment, but would this indicate that in a gravitational field there should also be length contraction? (since the accelerating disk should have length contraction at instantaneous moments where the speed is calculated)
You should distinguish between "length contraction" (which usually means due to motion) and "distorted spatial geometry" (which is measured with rulers at rest in some common frame): The length contraction is observed by the non-rotating frame, which doesn't have a centrifugal acceleration field. In the rotating frame with the centrifugal acceleration field, the disc is static, so there is no length contraction but an distorted spatial geometry.

What the dics indicates via the Equivalence principle:
- that in a non-uniform gravitational field, the spatial geometry can be non Euclidean (cirumference / radius is not pi)
- that in a gravitational field there should be gravitational time dilation (resting clock rate depends on position)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Re: pervect, I was thinking in terms of the fact that an accelerating body has instantaneous velocities, and presumably at each one there would be length contraction, but it appears my speculation was wrong.

A.T. said:
You should distinguish between "length contraction" (which usually means due to motion) and "distorted spatial geometry" (which is measured with rulers at rest in some common frame): The length contraction is observed by the non-rotating frame, which doesn't have a centrifugal acceleration field. In the rotating frame with the centrifugal acceleration field, the disc is static, so there is no length contraction but an distorted spatial geometry.

What the dics indicates via the Equivalence principle:
- that in a non-uniform gravitational field, the spatial geometry can be non Euclidean (cirumference / radius is not pi)
- that in a gravitational field there should be gravitational time dilation (resting clock rate depends on position)

But this time dilation cannot be experimentally indistinguishable as time dilation caused by instantaneous speed, correct? Because of the clock hypothesis?

This seems kind of paradoxical to me. An acceleration is a collection of changing speeds, so each speed should have time dilation. But if I understand the clock hypothesis, it is not acceleration that causes time dilation, and if that is so, then where does the equivalence principle come into play when it comes to gravitational time dilation?

Or is there a connection between instantaneous speed and the equivalence principle? (relating to gravitational time dilation)

Sorcerer said:
it is not acceleration that causes time dilation,
Time dilation between clocks at relative rest depends on the difference in potential between their positions, not on their proper accelerations.

Sorcerer said:
and if that is so, then where does the equivalence principle come into play when it comes to gravitational time dilation?
The above applies to both: accelerated/rotating frames in outer space and gravitational fields near a big mass.

Suppose we have a very large spinning disk, and some observers far away from the center. Suppose that the observers compare their clocks. The observers orbit the center at different speeds, so their clocks run at different rates.

If the aforementioned observers are closed in a small lab located on the disk, it is difficult for them to tell whether they are on a spinning disk, or inside an accelerating elevator, or on the surface of a planet. This is known as the equivalence principle.(Those clocks on the spinning disk are like the twin paradox twins. While clocks inside the elevator are not quite like the twins from the twin paradox.)

(Oh yes, we must put an additional restriction on the observers on the spinning disk: only short duration experiments are allowed. Gyroscopes must not detect the spinning, you see.)

Last edited:
jartsa said:
(Those clocks on the spinning disk are like the twin paradox twins. While clocks inside the elevator are not quite like the twins from the twin paradox.)

(Oh yes, we must put an additional restriction on the observers on the spinning disk: only short duration experiments are allowed. Gyroscopes must not detect the spinning, you see.)
Actually, if we consider only short periods of time, and a frame where the lab on the disk does not have a very high speed, a lab on a large spinning disk is like a lab on an accelerating elevator: Both labs accelerate to one direction.

What I said about twin paradox is only true if we consider long times, or if we are in the center of disk frame.

Last edited:
A.T. said:
Time dilation between clocks at relative rest depends on the difference in potential between their positions, not on their proper accelerations.

The above applies to both: accelerated/rotating frames in outer space and gravitational fields near a big mass.
So in the second part here, are you saying that, supposing you have an accelerating, rotating disk, that clocks will move slower on the edge than closer to the middle?

Sorcerer said:
supposing you have an accelerating, rotating disk, that clocks will move slower on the edge than closer to the middle?
On a rotating disk, the co-rotating clocks tick slower at the edge, than in the middle.

Related to Spinning disk, length contraction, & equivalence principle

1. What is the spinning disk experiment and how does it relate to length contraction?

The spinning disk experiment, also known as the Ehrenfest paradox, involves a rotating disk and a rod attached to its center. According to the theory of relativity, objects in motion experience length contraction, meaning they appear shorter in the direction of motion. In the spinning disk experiment, the circumference of the disk appears to contract due to its rotation, causing the rod to appear to bend. This phenomenon is known as the length contraction effect.

2. Can you explain the concept of length contraction in more detail?

Length contraction is a consequence of the theory of relativity and states that objects in motion appear shorter in the direction of motion when observed by an outside observer. This effect is only noticeable at speeds close to the speed of light, and the amount of contraction depends on the speed of the object and the direction of observation.

3. How is the equivalence principle related to the theory of relativity?

The equivalence principle is a fundamental principle of the theory of relativity, which states that the effects of gravity are indistinguishable from the effects of acceleration. This means that an observer in an accelerated frame of reference would experience the same effects as an observer in a gravitational field. The equivalence principle plays a crucial role in understanding the effects of gravity on space and time.

4. What experiments have been conducted to test the equivalence principle?

Several experiments have been conducted to test the equivalence principle, including the Eötvös experiment, which compared the acceleration of two test masses in a gravitational field, and the Pound-Rebka experiment, which measured the frequency shift of photons moving in a gravitational field. These experiments have confirmed the validity of the equivalence principle and its importance in the theory of relativity.

5. How does the equivalence principle impact our understanding of gravity?

The equivalence principle has greatly influenced our understanding of gravity by showing that it is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. This principle has led to the development of the general theory of relativity, which provides a comprehensive explanation of the effects of gravity on the universe.