Spin Triplet of Ortho Helium - Why Total Spin is 1?

In summary, for the ortho state of Helium, the spin part of the wavefunction can be represented by three possible symmetric wavefunctions: (^^), (vv), and [1/SQRT2] { (^v) + (v^) }. The last state has a total spin of one, determined by applying the total angular momentum operator squared. The spin of a state is determined by the value of the total angular momentum, not the individual angular momentums of the particles.
Master J
For the ortho state of Helium, the spin part of the wavefunction is symmetric.

There are 3 possible symmetric wavefunctions we can construct from the 2 electrons' spins.

(^^)

(vv)

[1/SQRT2] { (^v) + (v^) }

I am confused as to why this last state gives a total spin of one? The electrons can only be in one of these eigenstates, both of equal probability of 1/2, but the spins are anti-aligned, are they not?

Thanks guys! (I hope you'll not mind my improvisation for electron spin functions with ^ and v ! :-p )

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you help me ..I don't know how to post question.
Today I just saw this web...
Help me please..

Master J said:
For the ortho state of Helium, the spin part of the wavefunction is symmetric.

There are 3 possible symmetric wavefunctions we can construct from the 2 electrons' spins.

(^^)

(vv)

[1/SQRT2] { (^v) + (v^) }

I am confused as to why this last state gives a total spin of one? The electrons can only be in one of these eigenstates, both of equal probability of 1/2, but the spins are anti-aligned, are they not?

Thanks guys! (I hope you'll not mind my improvisation for electron spin functions with ^ and v ! :-p )

Cheers!

1. Learn to write with LaTeX code. [tex] \left|\uparrow\downarrow\right\rangle [/tex] - it looks so pretty ! :!)

2. Well, to find the spin of a certain state, you must apply the total angular momentum operator squared. When you do that, you'll get the spin 1.

Remember that it's not [itex] \mbox{m}_{\mbox{j}} [/itex] who gives the spin of the state, but [itex] \mbox{j} [/itex].

Ah, an oversight on my part! Thanks for clearing that up!

Related to Spin Triplet of Ortho Helium - Why Total Spin is 1?

What is the Spin Triplet of Ortho Helium?

The Spin Triplet of Ortho Helium is a quantum state of the helium atom in which the total spin of its two electrons is equal to 1.

Why is the total spin of Ortho Helium 1?

The total spin of Ortho Helium is 1 because the two electrons in this state have parallel spins, which adds up to 1 when combined.

How is the Spin Triplet of Ortho Helium formed?

The Spin Triplet of Ortho Helium is formed when the two electrons in the helium atom occupy the same energy level and have parallel spins, creating a state with a total spin of 1.

Why is the Spin Triplet of Ortho Helium important?

The Spin Triplet of Ortho Helium is important because it is a stable state of the helium atom that plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions and can help explain certain properties of helium gas.

What are some applications of the Spin Triplet of Ortho Helium?

The Spin Triplet of Ortho Helium has applications in fields such as nuclear physics, quantum mechanics, and spectroscopy. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).