Spin States in a Magnetic Field

In summary: Just use the hamiltonian and the pauli matrix property: H = - (e/2mc) \sigma _z B_0 and solve for the eigenvalues.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] energies of spin states

Homework Statement

An electron is in a constant magnetic field with magnitude B_0, aligned in the -z direction. My book says without explanation:

"the spin-up state has energy [itex] -\mu_B B_0[/itex]"

where [itex] \mu_B[/itex] is the Bohr magneton

I looked back in the Spin Angular Momentum chapter and I cannot find where this was derived.

I am thinking that they used the equation [tex] H = B_0 \mu_B \sigma_z [/itex] and just calculated the energy of the spin up state using the TISE and the vector representation of spin-up in z. Is there an a priori way of knowing the energy of a spin state of it is spin up or down in x, y,or z in a magnetic field?

EDIT: OK. So I think that if you actually calculate the energies for the spins using H |\psi> = E | \psi>, you get that the energy is always [itex] -\mu_B B_0[/itex] when the spin is antiparallel to the magnetic field vector and [itex] \mu_B B_0[/itex] when the spin is parallel to the magnetic field vector. I explicitly checked that this holds for x, y, and z. Could I have obtained this result without calculating with Pauli matrices, though? Does this result hold when the spin and magnetic field are parallel but not along x,y,z,-x,-y,-z?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the Hamiltonian for a (spin)particle in magnetic field:

[tex]H = - (q/mc) \vec{S} \cdot \vec{B} [/tex] (sakurai eq 2.1.49)
(q = -e for the electron)

the magnetic moment for an electron is of course: [tex]\mu_B = e\hbar /2mc [/tex]

Now you can simply relate the spin matrices to the hamiltonian and see what energy eigenvalues different states have.

for your B-field: [tex] \vec{B} = -B_0 \hat{z} [/tex]
You will get this hamiltonian:
[tex] H = - (e/2mc) \sigma _z B_0 [/tex] and the pauli matrix property:
[tex] \sigma _z \chi _+ = \hbar \chi _+ [/tex]
So the energy for this particle (spin in +z and magnetic field in -z) is [itex] -\mu_B B_0[/itex]

Last edited:
So, I guess the answers to my questions in the EDIT are no and yes.

Right?

You must use the spin- (pauli) matrices for this, the form of the hamiltonian follows from basic electromagnetism.

For your second "question" , i don't know what you ask for, but it is very easy to evaluate the energy eigen values for a specific state in a certain magnetic field.

Related to Spin States in a Magnetic Field

1. What is the concept of energies of spin states?

The concept of energies of spin states is based on the idea that particles with spin can exist in different energy levels or states. These states are determined by the orientation of the particle's spin in relation to a magnetic field.

2. How are energies of spin states measured?

Energies of spin states are typically measured using spectroscopy techniques, such as electron spin resonance (ESR) or nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR). These techniques involve applying a magnetic field to the particles and measuring the energy absorbed or emitted as the particles transition between spin states.

3. What is the significance of energies of spin states in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the concept of spin is used to describe the intrinsic angular momentum of particles. The energies of spin states play a crucial role in determining the behavior of particles at the quantum level and can be used to explain various phenomena, such as the stability of atoms and the behavior of electrons in magnetic fields.

4. How do different particles have different energies of spin states?

The energy of a spin state is determined by the properties of the particle, such as its mass, charge, and spin. Each type of particle has a unique combination of these properties, which results in different energies of spin states. For example, electrons have a spin of 1/2, while protons have a spin of 1/2, leading to different energy levels for each particle.

5. Can energies of spin states be manipulated?

Yes, energies of spin states can be manipulated through various techniques, such as applying external magnetic fields or using laser pulses. These manipulations can change the orientation of the particle's spin and lead to transitions between different energy levels, allowing scientists to control and study the behavior of particles at the quantum level.