Spin Precession in a Magnetic Field

In summary, spin precession is the rotation of a charged particle's spin around the direction of an external magnetic field, caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the particle's magnetic moment. This occurs due to the torque exerted on the particle's magnetic moment by the magnetic field. The rate of spin precession is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the magnitude of the particle's magnetic moment, and the mass and charge of the particle, as well as the angle between the magnetic field and the particle's spin. Spin precession is an important concept in quantum mechanics and has applications in technologies such as MRI machines and particle accelerators. It can also be observed in everyday life, such as in compass needles aligning with the
Higgy
I'm having a mental block on this and I was hoping that someone could help me.

A little background
Consider a spin-1/2 particle in static, homogeneous magnetic field,

[tex]\vec{B}=B \hat{k}[/tex]

The Hamiltonian is

[tex]H=-\vec{\mu}\cdot\vec{B}=-\gamma B S_{z}[/tex]

where [itex]\gamma[/itex] is the gyromagnetic ratio.

Working in the [itex]S_{z},S^{2}[/itex] basis,

The eigenstates are

[tex]|S_{z} + \rangle = |s,m=+1/2\rangle = |+\rangle[/tex]
[tex]|S_{z} - \rangle = |s,m=-1/2\rangle = |-\rangle[/tex]

I can calculate the expectation values for the observables [itex]S_{x},S_{y},S_{z}[/itex], and I get,

[tex]\langle S_{x}\rangle=\frac{\hbar}{2} \cos\omega t[/tex]
[tex]\langle S_{y}\rangle=\frac{\hbar}{2} \sin\omega t[/tex]
[tex]\langle S_{z}\rangle=0[/tex]

This is to be interpreted as spin precession about the z-axis.

Question
Why is [itex]\langle S_{z}\rangle=0[/itex]?

I found the above mostly in Sakurai, but in another text, it is shown that the expectation values of the magnetic moment [itex]\mu[/itex],

[tex]\vec{\mu}=\gamma \vec{S}[/tex]

are

[tex]\langle \mu_x \rangle= \gamma \hbar A \cos (\omega t + \delta)[/tex]
[tex]\langle \mu_y \rangle= - \gamma \hbar A \sin (\omega t + \delta)[/tex]
[tex]\langle \mu_z \rangle= \gamma \hbar C[/tex]

where A, B, and C are some constants, and [itex]\delta[/itex] is a phase.

If the expectation value of [itex]S_{z}[/itex] is zero, wouldn't the same be true for [itex]\mu_z[/itex]? This is where I'm confused!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It seems like you have a good understanding of the basics of spin-1/2 particles in a magnetic field. Your calculations for the expectation values of S_{x}, S_{y}, and S_{z} are correct and show the spin precession about the z-axis.

To answer your question about why the expectation value of S_{z} is zero, we first need to understand what the expectation value represents. The expectation value of an observable is the average value that we would expect to measure if we were to perform a large number of measurements on an ensemble of identical systems.

In the case of the spin-1/2 particle, the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian are the states with definite spin in the z-direction, |+\rangle and |-\rangle. These states have equal probabilities of being measured, so the expectation value of S_{z} is zero, as it represents the average value of the spin in the z-direction.

Now, let's consider the expectation values of the magnetic moment \mu. The expectation value of \mu_{z} is not necessarily zero because the magnetic moment is a vector quantity and can have a component in the z-direction even if the spin is precessing about the z-axis. This is why we see a non-zero value for \langle \mu_{z} \rangle in your calculations.

In summary, the expectation value of S_{z} is zero because the spin-1/2 particle can be in either of the two eigenstates with equal probabilities, while the expectation value of the magnetic moment \mu_{z} can be non-zero because it is a vector quantity that takes into account the spin precession. I hope this helps clarify your confusion. Keep up the good work!

Related to Spin Precession in a Magnetic Field

1. What is spin precession in a magnetic field?

Spin precession in a magnetic field is a phenomenon in which the spin of a charged particle (such as an electron) rotates around the direction of an external magnetic field. This is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the magnetic moment of the particle.

2. How does spin precession occur?

Spin precession occurs due to the torque (rotational force) exerted on a particle's magnetic moment by an external magnetic field. This torque causes the particle's spin to rotate around the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the rate of spin precession?

The rate of spin precession is affected by the strength of the external magnetic field, the magnitude of the particle's magnetic moment, and the mass and charge of the particle. Additionally, the angle between the direction of the magnetic field and the particle's spin also plays a role.

4. What is the importance of spin precession in physics?

Spin precession is an important concept in quantum mechanics and is used to explain many phenomena such as the behavior of particles in magnetic fields, nuclear magnetic resonance, and electron spin resonance. It also has applications in technologies such as MRI machines and particle accelerators.

5. Can spin precession be observed in everyday life?

Yes, spin precession can be observed in everyday life in the form of compass needles aligning with the Earth's magnetic field. It is also responsible for the behavior of spinning tops and gyroscopes, which rotate due to the torque exerted by the Earth's magnetic field on their spinning masses.