Spin Coupling, Matrix Building

In summary, the tensor product of two vector spaces creates a new vector space. In the case of spin coupling, a matrix can be constructed using the basis from the eigenspaces holding the spin states of particle 1 and particle 2. The matrix can be constructed by listing out all possible two-particle states, such as |x,z>, |x,-z>, |-x,z>, and |-x,-z>. However, the matrix representation is not unique due to the choice of basis and the order of elements within the basis.
sol66
So I understand that the tensor product of two vector spaces constitutes a new vector space. In the case of spin coupling you have some arbitrary vector |x,z> where x represents the spin state of particle 1 and z represents the spin state of particle 2; bot spin states being general 2 element vectors.

This is where I question my understanding, from what I can see ... the tensor product of individual eigenspaces containing vector x and z creates a new eigenspace that holds the general vector |x,z>. Also it seems that you can construct a matrix out of your eigenstates using the basis from your eigenspaces holding the spinstates x and z. So is my understanding correct?

If I am right, my other question is ... how do you construct such a matrix?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to list out all possible two-particle states, such as
$$
\begin{pmatrix}
| x, z \rangle \\
| x, -z \rangle \\
| -x, z \rangle \\
| -x, -z \rangle
\end{pmatrix}
$$
to use the notation in the OP, or more commonly
$$
\begin{pmatrix}
| z, z \rangle \\
| z, -z \rangle \\
| -z, z \rangle \\
| -z, -z \rangle
\end{pmatrix}
$$
As always, the matrix representation is not unique, as the choice of basis is not unique, nor is the order of the elements in a given basis.

Related to Spin Coupling, Matrix Building

1. What is spin coupling in chemistry?

Spin coupling is a phenomenon in which two or more atomic or molecular spins interact with each other, resulting in changes in their energy levels. This can occur between atoms within a molecule or between different molecules.

2. How does spin coupling affect molecular properties?

Spin coupling can affect various molecular properties such as chemical reactivity, magnetic properties, and spectroscopic behavior. It can also influence the stability and geometry of molecules.

3. What is matrix building in spin coupling?

Matrix building is a technique used in quantum chemistry to represent the interactions between atomic or molecular spins as matrices. This allows for the calculation of spin coupling constants and other properties.

4. How is spin coupling studied experimentally?

Spin coupling is studied experimentally using techniques such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy and electron spin resonance (ESR) spectroscopy. These methods allow for the observation and measurement of spin interactions.

5. What are the applications of spin coupling in chemistry?

Spin coupling has many applications in chemistry, including the determination of molecular structures, understanding chemical reactions, and developing new materials with specific magnetic properties. It is also used in fields such as biochemistry, organic chemistry, and materials science.