Spin angular momentum operator queries

In summary: If you are unaware of a fact then it would be helpful if you could mention the source where you learned that fact.In summary, the spin angular momentum of an electron can only have two possible values, -1/2##\hbar## or 1/2##\hbar##. The matrix size for this information is 2x2.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

For the spin angular momentum operator, the eigenvalue problem can be formed into matrix form. I will use ##S_{z}## as my example

$$S_{z} | \uparrow \rangle = \begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} = \frac {\hbar}{2} \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}$$

$$S_{z} | \downarrow \rangle = \begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}= \frac {-\hbar}{2} \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}$$

Why is it that the matrix on the left hand side is assumed to be a 2x2 matrix? Also, why is it when solving for a,b,c, and d the second equation is used. I don't understand how I can just say

$$\begin{pmatrix} a \\ c \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} = \frac {\hbar}{2} \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}$$
$$\begin{pmatrix} b \\ d \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}= \frac {-\hbar}{2} \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}$$

I don't understand how I can just isolate the second column of the 2x2 matrix for the spin down case, and isolate the first column for spin up.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maylis said:
Why is it that the matrix on the left hand side is assumed to be a 2x2 matrix?
Those two equations are only for particles with spin 1/2 such as electron. Following the commutation relations for angular momenta, which is satisfied by any angular momentum operator, the z component of an angular momentum L can only be between -L and L with unit increment. That's why spin operator matrix for spin 1/2 particle must be of size 2x2.
Maylis said:
I don't understand how I can just isolate the second column of the 2x2 matrix for the spin down case, and isolate the first column for spin up.
To be honest this is also my first time seeing such expressions. But I think you can understand it by viewing the matrix multiplication using coordinate-by-column rule. If you had known this, you can see that such way of writing can only be justified because either for spin up or down vector, one of the element is zero.

Could you explain the part about the matrix size in more detail? I still don't understand how one follows from the other

If this is your first exposure in angular momentum theory in quantum mechanics, please just forget "Following the commutation relations for angular momenta, which is satisfied by any angular momentum operator." If you are planning to go deeper in QM you will encounter the formal mathematical proof anyway. For now just keep in mind that the consequence of that statement is that any particle having angular momentum quantum number ##s## (##s## is necessarily positive and either integer or half-odd integer depending on the particle) will have quantized possible z-components of the angular momentum as given by ##-s\hbar,(-s+1)\hbar,\dots,(s-1)\hbar,s\hbar##. Now since electrons is a spin 1/2 particle, its ##s## is 1/2. So the z component of spin angular momentum of electrons can only be -1/2##\hbar## or 1/2##\hbar##.
Now I assume you are familiar with eigenvalue problem. The eigenvalues of matrix operator ##s_z## for electrons must then be -1/2##\hbar## or 1/2##\hbar##, so the size of ##s_z## is necessarily 2 by 2. Remember that a square matrix of dimension NxN has N eigenvalues taking any multiplicity into account.

Likes gfd43tg
Thanks, I was not aware that a square matrix of NxN has N eigenvalues. My linear algebra is too weak to remember that fact, it has been a while since I studied it.

Related to Spin angular momentum operator queries

1. What is the spin angular momentum operator?

The spin angular momentum operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the spin of a particle. It is represented by the symbol S and is a vector operator, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What is the physical significance of the spin angular momentum operator?

The spin angular momentum operator describes the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. It is a fundamental property of particles and is responsible for many of their quantum mechanical behaviors.

3. How is the spin angular momentum operator related to spin states?

The spin angular momentum operator acts on spin states, which are quantum states that describe the orientation of a particle's spin. The eigenvalues of the spin operator correspond to the possible orientations of the spin state.

4. Can the spin angular momentum operator be measured?

No, the spin angular momentum operator cannot be directly measured. Instead, it is inferred from the results of experiments on spin states and their corresponding eigenvalues.

5. How does the spin angular momentum operator behave under rotations?

The spin angular momentum operator follows the same mathematical rules as other angular momentum operators, which means it is conserved under rotations and obeys the commutation rules of angular momentum. This is why it is often referred to as a "spin" operator, as it behaves similarly to classical spinning objects.