Spin angular momentum converted to orbital energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spin and orbital momentum in relation to a ball rolling on a roulette wheel. The author explains that there are two phases in which the ball's motion changes and the points of contact between the ball and the wheel trace out a 3-dimensional curve. They also mention a physical model and clarify that it is only valid once the ball has connected to the roulette and before it disconnects. The concept of slipping versus rolling is also discussed. The speaker expresses some confusion and asks for clarification in simpler terms.
borson
Hello!
Excuse my ignorance. The forum is full of difficult questions so I even feel a bit ashamed of posting this, But that is the only way I can learn.
I do not understand some concepts stated below in the images, and I am not able to grasp what is being said. For instance, I do not know why spin momentum is turned into orbital momentum and so on...
b87h2b.png

33c2mtf.png

To be more specific, what does the author mean with:
"the first phase in which the ball slides/rolls and during which (with the help of sticky friction) slipping and abnormal spin angular momentum is converted to orbital energy; and then the second phase where slipping has ceased and the ball is performing a more or less regular rolling motion and where the points of contact between the ball and the rim of the wheel trace out a 3-dimensional roulette curve"As far as I know, "slipping" stands for a movement in which surfaces slide with each other, isn't it supposed to be happening the whole time during a spin of a roulette?
What is exactly saying the author? I'd be really grateful if someone could explain it to me with easier words

Moreover

"Our physical model described by equations (1) is only valid after the ball has connected to the roulette and before it disconnects from the roulette and leaves the track"

Does it mean that the model is valid once the ball is already in movement? what does it mean with "has connected to the roulette"?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
borson said:
As far as I know, "slipping" stands for a movement in which surfaces slide with each other, isn't it supposed to be happening the whole time during a spin of a roulette?
Do you understand the difference between slipping and rolling?

A.T. said:
Do you understand the difference between slipping and rolling?
I am not sure. in slipping friction all the surface of the body is sliding against anotherone, in rolling, just a part is sliding.
is it?. Again, excuse my ignorance

Related to Spin angular momentum converted to orbital energy

What is spin angular momentum and how is it related to orbital energy?

Spin angular momentum is a property of a rotating object or system, and it is defined as the angular momentum of a body about its own axis of rotation. In terms of orbital energy, spin angular momentum can be converted into orbital energy through a process called spin-orbit coupling. This occurs when the spin angular momentum of a body is transferred to its orbital motion, increasing its orbital energy.

Can spin angular momentum be converted to orbital energy in all systems?

No, spin angular momentum can only be converted to orbital energy in systems where there is a strong coupling between the spin and orbital motion. For example, this can occur in planetary systems where the orbit is affected by the rotation of the planet, but it may not occur in other systems such as galaxies.

How does the conversion of spin angular momentum to orbital energy influence the stability of a system?

The conversion of spin angular momentum to orbital energy can have a significant impact on the stability of a system. In some cases, it can lead to the destabilization of the system, causing changes in the orbits of bodies or even the ejection of objects from the system. However, in other cases, it can help to maintain the stability of a system by redistributing energy among the bodies within it.

Is the conversion of spin angular momentum to orbital energy a reversible process?

In most cases, the conversion of spin angular momentum to orbital energy is a one-way process and cannot be reversed. This is because once the orbital energy of a body is increased, it is unlikely to return to its original state. However, in some cases, small fluctuations in the system may cause some of the converted orbital energy to be transferred back to spin angular momentum.

What are some potential applications of the conversion of spin angular momentum to orbital energy?

The conversion of spin angular momentum to orbital energy has several potential applications in astrophysics and space exploration. It can help explain the formation and evolution of planetary systems, as well as the dynamics of galaxies and other large-scale structures in the universe. It may also play a role in the design and navigation of spacecraft and satellites.