Spin and parity for nuclear shell model

In summary, the spin and parity of the element {}^{207}Pb is J^{\pi}=\frac{1}{2}^-, determined by the last unpaired neutron in the 3p_{1/2} shell due to the energy difference between the 3p_{1/2} and 2f_{5/2} shells.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

I have an element: [itex]{}^{207}Pb[/itex], with Z=82, and A=125, and I need to find spin and parity of it.

Homework Equations

The angular momentum is determined by the angular momentum of the last nucleon that is odd, in this case it will be one unpaired neutron.

Now what confuses me is that the last neutron is in [itex]3p_{1/2}[/itex] shell, but when I look at the picture:

THLoB.jpg

and start to fill the shells, how do I know that it must be [itex]3p_{1/2}[/itex] and not [itex]2f_{5/2}[/itex]? Is it because of the energy difference? That is I take the one that is the closest to the filled shell?

That is basically what bothers me a bit. The spin and parity is easy once I know this. Since the protons are all paired I only need to look at this unpaired neutron, and the answer is [itex]J^{\pi}=\frac{1}{2}^-[/itex]

EDIT: I totally misunderstood this magic stuff xD I need to fill each shell so that in the end I have all paired up, and if I have unpaired it needs to be in the next shell (if it is energy efficient ofc)! That's why I have it in [itex]3p_{1/2}[/itex]!

:D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear poster,

Thank you for your question. You are correct in your understanding that the spin and parity of an element can be determined by looking at the last unpaired nucleon. In this case, since we have a neutron in the 3p_{1/2} shell, we can determine that the spin and parity of this element is J^{\pi}=\frac{1}{2}^-.

As for your confusion about choosing between the 3p_{1/2} and 2f_{5/2} shells, it is indeed based on energy difference. In general, the energy of a shell increases as the principal quantum number (n) increases, and within a given shell, the energy increases as the orbital angular momentum quantum number (l) increases. In this case, the 3p_{1/2} shell is closer to being filled than the 2f_{5/2} shell, so it is more energetically favorable for the unpaired neutron to be in the 3p_{1/2} shell.

I hope this clears up your confusion and helps you in your further studies of nuclear physics. Best of luck!

Related to Spin and parity for nuclear shell model

1. What is spin and parity in the nuclear shell model?

Spin and parity are quantum numbers used to describe the properties of atomic nuclei. Spin represents the intrinsic angular momentum of the nucleus, while parity describes the symmetry of the nuclear wave function under spatial inversion.

2. How are spin and parity determined in the nuclear shell model?

Spin and parity are determined by experimental observations of the nuclear energy levels and decay patterns. These observations can be explained by the arrangement of protons and neutrons in energy levels, or shells, within the nucleus.

3. What is the significance of spin and parity in the nuclear shell model?

Spin and parity are important in understanding the stability and behavior of atomic nuclei. They also play a critical role in nuclear reactions and the production of nuclear energy.

4. How is spin-parity notation used in the nuclear shell model?

Spin and parity are typically denoted by a shorthand notation, where the spin is represented by a number followed by a letter indicating the parity. For example, 1/2+ represents a spin of 1/2 and positive parity, while 0- represents a spin of 0 and negative parity.

5. Can the spin and parity of a nucleus change?

Yes, the spin and parity of a nucleus can change through certain processes such as nuclear reactions or radioactive decay. However, these changes are typically small and do not affect the overall stability and behavior of the nucleus.