Spin 1/2-Raising and Lowering operators question

In summary, the spin 1/2 raising and lowering operators, S+ and S-, are defined as S+ = ħ|+><-| and S- = ħ|-><+|. When acting with S+ on a spin down state, it results in a spin up state and can be interpreted as increasing the spin component by one unit of ħ. However, when trying to explicitly verify this, applying S+ and then measuring the eigenvalue with S_z may lead to confusion due to the extra factor of ħ. This is because the normalization of the state does not affect the eigenvalue of an operator. Therefore, the correct definition of the raising and lowering operators is without ħ.
tjny699
Spin 1/2--Raising and Lowering operators question

Hi,

Quick question regarding raising and lowering operators.

Sakurai (on pg 23 of Modern QM), gives the spin 1/2 raising and lowering operators [itex]S_{+}=\hbar \left|+\right\rangle \left\langle-\right|[/itex] and [itex]S_{-}=\hbar \left|-\right\rangle \left\langle+\right|[/itex].

Acting with the raising operator on, say, the spin down state, you get
[itex]S_{+} \left|-\right\rangle = \hbar \left|+\right\rangle [/itex]. The physical interpretation of this is that the raising operator increases the spin component by one unit of [itex]\hbar[/itex].

This makes sense to me but when I try to explicitly verify this I run into a misunderstanding.

Let's say I apply [itex]S_{+}[/itex] to [itex]\left|-\right\rangle[/itex] and get [itex]\hbar \left|+\right\rangle [/itex].
To then "measure" the eigenvalue of this spin-up state, would you not apply the [itex]S_{z}[/itex] operator, which would give another factor of [itex]\hbar[/itex]:
[itex]S_{z} S_{+} \left|-\right\rangle = S_{z} \hbar \left|+\right\rangle = \frac{\hbar^{2}}{2} \left|+\right\rangle[/itex]

Or is it a mistake to apply [itex]S_{z}[/itex] after applying the raising operator? If not, how does the extra factor of [itex]\hbar[/itex] disappear?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

tjny699, I believe most people would say that S+ is ħ times the raising operator. The raising operator just turns |-> into |+>.

Hi Bill_K,

Thanks for your response.

Do you mean that [itex]S_{+}[/itex] should be defined without the [itex]\hbar[/itex]?

I always see it defined as in the original post. Also, later on the raising operator is defined in terms of the [itex]S_{x}[/itex] and [itex]S_{y}[/itex], which definitely have to have the [itex]\hbar[/itex]. Or perhaps I misunderstood you?

That's right, you just have to normalize your states to 1, and everything is fine.

So the correct definition is without [itex]\hbar[/itex]? Is there a reason that Sakurai includes it then?

S± and Sz have dimensions of angular momentum and their definition must include ħ. The raising and lowering operators are dimensionless and do not include ħ. If Sakurai calls S+ the raising operator, I would disagree, they are only proportional to each other.

Thanks, Bill. [itex]S_{+}[/itex] is called the raising operator in a number of sources that I've taken a look at. Naming aside, is it correct to apply [itex]S_{z}[/itex] after applying [itex]S_{+}[/itex] as I did in the first post? Sorry to linger on this but I'm trying to understand how this works in detail.

The spin down state when acted upon by [itex]S_{+}[/itex] becomes the spin up state, and to measure it's spin we apply [itex]S_{z}[/itex]? Does this not give an extra factor of [itex]\hbar[/itex]?

Last edited:

S+ is called the raising operator in a number of sources that I've taken a look at.
Then I would have to disagree with every one of them. Unless they are working in units where ħ = 1.

OK, I guess my other question still stands--after applying [itex]S_{+}[/itex] to a spin down state do we need to then apply [itex]S_{z}[/itex] to measure the spin of the resulting state? If so, does this not lead to an extra factor of [itex]\hbar[/itex]

I think I understand your question, but if I've misinterpreted it, let me know.

The normalization of the state doesn't affect the eigenvalue of an operator. To see this, remember the definition of an eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex]:

[tex]A\Psi = \lambda\Psi[/tex]

Now try applying that to a scaled version of [itex]\Psi[/itex]:

[tex]A(c\Psi) = c(A\Psi) = c(\lambda\Psi) = \lambda(c\Psi)[/tex]

So you can see, the eigenvalue of [itex]c\Psi[/itex] is also [itex]\lambda[/itex], for any value of [itex]c[/itex].

Applied to your question, if you have an operator [itex]S_z[/itex] and states [itex]|+\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|-\rangle[/itex], such that [itex]S_z|+\rangle = \hbar |+\rangle[/itex] and [itex]S_z|-\rangle = -\hbar|-\rangle[/itex], then we have:

[tex]S_z(\hbar|+\rangle) = \hbar(\hbar|+\rangle)[/tex]

So the spin is still just [itex]\hbar[/itex].

Related to Spin 1/2-Raising and Lowering operators question

What are spin 1/2-Raising and Lowering operators?

Spin 1/2-Raising and Lowering operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the angular momentum of particles with spin 1/2. They are represented by the symbols S+ and S- respectively.

What is the physical significance of spin 1/2-Raising and Lowering operators?

Spin 1/2-Raising and Lowering operators are used to describe the change in direction of a particle's spin. The operators act on the spin state of a particle, increasing or decreasing its spin by one unit.

How do spin 1/2-Raising and Lowering operators behave?

Spin 1/2-Raising and Lowering operators have specific mathematical properties. They do not commute, meaning the order in which they are applied matters. They also have a maximum and minimum value for spin, which is determined by the properties of the particle being described.

What is the relationship between spin 1/2-Raising and Lowering operators and spin matrices?

Spin 1/2-Raising and Lowering operators are related to spin matrices through the Pauli matrices, which are used to represent the spin states of particles with spin 1/2. The spin matrices are used to calculate the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the spin operators.

How are spin 1/2-Raising and Lowering operators used in quantum mechanics?

Spin 1/2-Raising and Lowering operators are used to describe the spin states of particles in quantum mechanics. They are used in the calculation of quantum mechanical operators, such as the Hamiltonian operator, to determine the energy levels of particles with spin 1/2.