Spin 1/2 in B-field polarization direction?

In summary, the problem involves a spin 1/2 particle with a magnetic moment and a uniform B-field. The particle is initially in the (1 0) state and the polarization direction is in the z-axis. The goal is to find the polarization direction of the particle at t>0. The Hamiltonian for this system is H=-gamma*(B dot S) and involves time-dependent perturbation. The Hamiltonian also includes the spin matrix and the Sz operator, which is given as sigma(z)=1. The Hamiltonian can be written in spherical coordinates and the problem involves finding the B-field in the z-direction.
valtorEN
spin 1/2 in B-field polarization direction??

Homework Statement

A spin 1/2 particle with magnetic momnet mu=mnot*sigma is placed in

uniform B-field, where the magnetic field is pointing in (theta,phi) direction

in spherical coordinates

At t=0, the particle is in the (1 0) state, i.e. sigma(z)=1 and the polarization

direction is =e3 (z hat direction).

Find out the polarization direction of the particle at t>0.

Homework Equations

the theory of spin is like angular momentum

magnetic moment mu=-gamma*S

S=spin matrix

S^2|sm>=hbar^2s(s+1)|sm>

and Sz|sm>=hbar*m|sm>

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to approach this one, i assume that the particle is at rest in the B-field

the Hamiltonian for a spinning charged particle in B-field is H=-gamma*(B dot S)

this is a time-DEPENDENT perturbation

how can i realte what is given to the polarization direction?

cheers
nate:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
ok, let me try this again

H=-mu*B (this is the interaction energy between spin and B-field)

for a particle of spin 1/2, with magnetic moment mu=mu(s)*S

the Hamiltonian is h=1/2*m(p-q/c*A)^2-mu*B

B=BX+BY+BZ (where i need to put B into spherical coordinates)

so if i have the B-field in the z-direction, A=(-By,0,0)

so...

H=1/2*m[(px^2+py^2+pz^2)+(2*q*B*px/c)*y+(qB/c)^2*y^2]-(mu*B/S)Sz

is this correct? i have a Hamilton with Sz in it which is given as sigma(z)=1 (pauli spin matrix)

Related to Spin 1/2 in B-field polarization direction?

What is spin 1/2 in B-field polarization direction?

Spin 1/2 in B-field polarization direction refers to the behavior of a particle with a spin quantum number of 1/2 when placed in a magnetic field. The spin quantum number is a fundamental property of particles that describes their intrinsic angular momentum.

What is the significance of spin 1/2 in B-field polarization direction?

The significance of spin 1/2 in B-field polarization direction lies in its relationship to quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles in magnetic fields. This phenomenon is important in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and has applications in fields such as nuclear magnetic resonance and particle physics.

How does spin 1/2 in B-field polarization direction affect the behavior of particles?

In a magnetic field, particles with a spin quantum number of 1/2 will align their spin in one of two possible directions, parallel or anti-parallel to the direction of the magnetic field. This behavior is known as spin polarization and can have various effects on the properties of the particle, such as its energy levels and magnetic moment.

What is the difference between spin 1/2 and spin 1 in B-field polarization direction?

The difference between spin 1/2 and spin 1 in B-field polarization direction lies in the number of possible spin orientations in a magnetic field. While spin 1/2 particles can only align in two directions, spin 1 particles have three possible spin orientations. This difference has important implications in the behavior and interactions of these particles.

How is spin 1/2 in B-field polarization direction observed and measured?

Spin 1/2 in B-field polarization direction can be observed and measured through various experimental techniques, such as nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and electron spin resonance spectroscopy. These methods use the principles of B-field polarization to study the behavior and properties of particles with a spin quantum number of 1/2.