Spin 1/2 Basis Change Homework Solution

In summary: U(adjoint)SnU=Sz. You can recover Sz by using U(adjoint) to transpose Sn and obtainingSz=U(adjoint)^T Sn.
beebopbellopu

Homework Statement

This is from my first-quarter graduate QM course. Part 4 of this problem asks me to compute the unitary operator U which transforms Sn into Sz, where Sn is the spin operator for spin 1/2 quantized along some arbitrary axis n = icos[itex]\phi[/itex]sinθ + jsin[itex]\phi[/itex]sinθ + zcosθ.

Homework Equations

From part 1, I solved Sn = \begin{pmatrix} cosθ&sinθe-i[itex]\phi[/itex]\\ sinθei[itex]\phi[/itex]&-cosθ \end{pmatrix}

|n;+> = cos(θ/2)|+> + sin(θ/2)ei[itex]\phi[/itex]|->
|n;-> = sin(θ/2)|+> - cos(θ/2)ei[itex]\phi[/itex]|->

where |+> and |-> are the spin up and down states along the z-axis

Also: U(adjoint)SnU = Sz

The Attempt at a Solution

U = Ʃ|n;±><±| = |n;+><+| + |n;-><-| = [cos(θ/2)|+> + sin(θ/2)ei[itex]\phi[/itex]|->]<+| + [sin(θ/2)|+> - cos(θ/2)ei[itex]\phi[/itex]|->]<-|

I then calculated out <+|U|+>, <-|U|+>, <+|U|->, and <-|U|-> to get the 4 elements of the unitary operator matrix, and end up with:

U = \begin{pmatrix}cos(θ/2)&sin(θ/2)ei[itex]\phi[/itex]\\sin(θ/2)&-cos(θ/2)ei[itex]\phi[/itex]\end{pmatrix}

However I used that to transform Sn and could not recover Sz. U(adjoint) is just the transpose complex conjugate so then I should be using:

U(adjoint) = \begin{pmatrix}cos(θ/2)&sin(θ/2)\\sin(θ/2)e-i[itex]\phi[/itex]&-cos(θ/2)e-i[itex]\phi[/itex]\end{pmatrix}

I'm not quite sure where to go from here.

Edit: I also can't figure out how to post matrices, if someone can help with that also. Thanks!

Edit 2: Thanks vela for the fix.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fixed your LaTeX.
beebopbellopu said:

Homework Statement

This is from my first-quarter graduate QM course. Part 4 of this problem asks me to compute the unitary operator U which transforms Sn into Sz, where Sn is the spin operator for spin 1/2 quantized along some arbitrary axis n = icos[itex]\phi[/itex]sinθ + jsin[itex]\phi[/itex]sinθ + zcosθ

Homework Equations

From part 1, I solved Sn = [itex]\begin{pmatrix} \cos\theta & e^{-i\phi}\sin\theta \\ e^{i\phi} \sin \theta & -\cosθ \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

|n;+> = cos(θ/2)|+> + sin(θ/2)ei[itex]\phi[/itex]|->
|n;-> = sin(θ/2)|+> - cos(θ/2)ei[itex]\phi[/itex]|->

where |+> and |-> are the spin up and down states along the z-axis.

Also: U(adjoint)SnU = Sz

The Attempt at a Solution

U = Ʃ|n;±><±| = |n;+><+| + |n;-><-| = [cos(θ/2)|+> + sin(θ/2)ei[itex]\phi[/itex]|->]<+| + [sin(θ/2)|+> - cos(θ/2)ei[itex]\phi[/itex]|->]<-|

I then calculated out <+|U|+>, <-|U|+>, <+|U|->, and <-|U|-> to get the 4 elements of the unitary operator matrix, and end up with:
[tex]U = \begin{pmatrix} \cos(\theta/2) & e^{i\phi}\sin(\theta/2) \\ \sin(\theta/2) & -e^{i\phi}cos(θ/2)\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

However I used that to transform Sn and could not recover Sz. U(adjoint) is just the transpose complex conjugate so then I should be using:

[tex]U^\dagger = \begin{pmatrix} \cos(\theta/2) & \sin(\theta/2) \\ e^{-i\phi}\sin(\theta/2) & -e^{-i\phi}cos(\theta/2)\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

I'm not quite sure where to go from here.

Edit: I also can't figure out how to post matrices, if someone can help with that also. Thanks!

Okay so I did out the matrix math a little further, found some more double angle identities and so forth, and if I set [itex]\phi[/itex] to 0 after multiplying through it comes out to σ3 which is what I want for Sz.

I think that this is because the unitary operator has to keep the inner product and its therefore an orthogonal transformation, meaning U must be orthogonal. If that's the case then it has to have real elements and the only way for that is if phi = 0, which makes sense in that the the azimuthal angle needs to be 0 in order to be orthogonal to the z-axis.

Is that correct?

Your matrix for Sn is missing an overall factor of 1/2.

If you multiply the second eigenvector by e-iΦ, you'll have
\begin{align*}
\vert + \rangle_n &= \begin{pmatrix} \cos(\theta/2) \\ e^{i\phi}\sin(\theta/2) \end{pmatrix} \\
\vert - \rangle_n &= \begin{pmatrix} e^{-i\phi}\sin(\theta/2) \\ -\cos(\theta/2)\end{pmatrix}
\end{align*}(It's not really necessary to do this. I'm just doing it for aesthetic reasons.)

If you recall your basic linear algebra, you know that the matrix U that diagonalizes Sn has the eigenvectors of Sn as its columns, so you have[tex]U=\begin{pmatrix}
\cos(\theta/2) & e^{-i\phi}\sin(\theta/2) \\
e^{i\phi}\sin(\theta/2) & -\cos(\theta/2)
\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
You can verify that this matrix is in fact unitary for any value of the angles and that it will diagonalize Sn. Requiring Φ=0 isn't acceptable since n can point in any direction.

For some reason, you ended up with the transpose of this matrix.

I would say that your attempt at a solution is on the right track. However, it seems like there may be a mistake in your calculation of U(adjoint). The correct matrix should be:

U(adjoint) = \begin{pmatrix}cos(θ/2)&sin(θ/2)\\-sin(θ/2)e-i\phi&cos(θ/2)e-i\phi\end{pmatrix}

Notice the negative sign in the second row. This should fix the issue of not being able to recover Sz. Also, I would suggest double checking your calculations for the elements of the unitary operator matrix, just to make sure there are no other errors.

As for posting matrices, you can use LaTeX code to format them. For example, the matrix:

\begin{pmatrix} a&b\\ c&d \end{pmatrix}

would be written as:

\begin{pmatrix} a&b\\ c&d \end{pmatrix}

in your post. Just make sure to use backslashes before special characters like \, &, and <, and to enclose the code in dollar signs ($$) to format it as a math equation. I hope this helps!

Related to Spin 1/2 Basis Change Homework Solution

1. What is the purpose of a "Spin 1/2 Basis Change Homework Solution"?

The purpose of a "Spin 1/2 Basis Change Homework Solution" is to provide a mathematical solution to a problem involving the basis change of spin 1/2 particles. This is a common topic in quantum mechanics and is often used to understand the behavior of particles with spin 1/2.

2. What is a spin 1/2 particle?

A spin 1/2 particle is a fundamental particle that has an intrinsic angular momentum, or spin, of 1/2. This spin property is a quantum mechanical property that cannot be explained by classical physics. Examples of spin 1/2 particles include electrons, protons, and neutrons.

3. How is a spin 1/2 basis change calculated?

A spin 1/2 basis change is calculated using the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics. This involves using matrices and operators to represent the spin states of the particles, and then applying the appropriate transformations to change the basis. The final result is a set of equations that describe the new spin states in terms of the old ones.

4. Why is understanding spin 1/2 basis change important?

Understanding spin 1/2 basis change is important because it is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It helps us to understand the behavior of particles with spin 1/2, and has many practical applications in fields such as nuclear physics, solid-state physics, and quantum computing.

5. Are there any real-world applications of spin 1/2 basis change?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of spin 1/2 basis change. One example is in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) imaging, which uses the principle of spin 1/2 particles to create images of the inside of the human body. Spin 1/2 basis change is also important in the development of quantum computers, which use the spin states of particles to store and process information.