Spherically symmetric spacetime

In summary, a spherically symmetric space-time is one in which all metric components are unchanged under any rotation-reversal. This is related to the fact that a spherically symmetric space-time is invariant under rotations.
maxverywell
I know from classical physics that, for example, an electric field is spherically symmetric if its magnitude depends only on the distance [itex]r[/itex] to the origin (and not on the angles [itex]\phi[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex]) and it's in radially inward or outward direction.

But, what does it mean when spacetime is spherically symmetric? Does it mean that the metric depends only on [itex]r[/itex] and not on the angles?

Physics news on Phys.org
It means that the isometry group ##G## of the space-time ##(M,g_{ab})## has a subgroup ##H\subseteq G## such that ##H\cong SO(3)## and such that the orbits of the group action associated with ##H## are topological 2-spheres. You should think of spherical symmetry in this way and not in the way you tried to characterize it because that is a coordinate dependent characterization (and is false by the way the metric doesn't only depend on ##r## in the coordinate basis - the Schwarzschild metric also depends on ##\theta## in the coordinate basis) whereas spherical symmetry of the space-time is a geometric property independent of coordinates. The isometries are related to one-parameter families of local diffeomorphisms that generate killing vector fields related to rotational symmetry so very loosely put, a spherically symmetric space-time is "invariant under rotations".

EDIT: See this introduction: http://www.physto.se/~ingemar/sfar.pdf

Last edited:
Likes yancey
maxverywell said:
I know from classical physics that, for example, an electric field is spherically symmetric if its magnitude depends only on the distance [itex]r[/itex] to the origin (and not on the angles [itex]\phi[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex]) and it's in radially inward or outward direction.

But, what does it mean when spacetime is spherically symmetric? Does it mean that the metric depends only on [itex]r[/itex] and not on the angles?
You're using a 3D object and asking what it's like in 4D. Since the spatial part of an object does not apply to time then I don't see how any meaning can be given to this situation.

Here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deriving_the_Schwarzschild_solution it says:

A spherically symmetric spacetime is one in which all metric components are unchanged under any rotation-reversal [itex]\theta \to -\theta[/itex] or [itex]\phi \to -\phi[/itex]

Why is that true and how it is related to what WannabeNewton wrote?

Last edited:
Ugh, I wish people would stop reading that wiki article. It is sacrilegious to describe a geometric property of space-time using meaningless coordinates so please don't take wiki's "definition" as an actual definition. It is merely a consequence of the definition I wrote above. As for why, see here (starting with page 171 of the PDF): http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/9712019v1.pdf

Likes 1 person
Thanks WannabeNewton, you helped a lot!

maxverywell said:
Thanks WannabeNewton, you helped a lot!
Anytime mate! Feel free to ask any further questions you might have after reading the PDF. I just want to stress again, geometry > coordinates :smile: Cheers!

Likes 1 person
WannabeNewton said:
Ugh, I wish people would stop reading that wiki article. It is sacrilegious to describe a geometric property of space-time using meaningless coordinates so please don't take wiki's "definition" as an actual definition. It is merely a consequence of the definition I wrote above.
Well, if you feel that way, the logical thing to do would be to edit the Wikipedia page and replace their definition with yours.

Bill_K said:
Well, if you feel that way, the logical thing to do would be to edit the Wikipedia page and replace their definition with yours.
Apparently there is already a wiki article already that has the coordinate independent definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherically_symmetric_spacetime but I have no idea how to link this to the other one or edit wiki articles n' stuff :frown: It seems safer to just learn the definitions from a textbook rather than from wiki (the above article cites Wald for example, who gives the exact same definition in his text when deriving the Schwarzschild metric).

Likes 1 person

Related to Spherically symmetric spacetime

1. What is spherically symmetric spacetime?

Spherically symmetric spacetime is a mathematical concept used in the study of general relativity. It describes a spacetime that is the same in all directions around a central point, similar to a sphere.

2. How is spherically symmetric spacetime different from flat spacetime?

In spherically symmetric spacetime, the geometry of space and time is curved, while in flat spacetime, the geometry is flat. This means that objects in spherically symmetric spacetime will follow curved paths, while objects in flat spacetime will follow straight paths.

3. What is the importance of spherically symmetric spacetime?

Spherically symmetric spacetime is important in the study of general relativity because it is a common feature in many physical systems, such as planets, stars, and black holes. It allows us to better understand the effects of gravity on these objects.

4. Can spherically symmetric spacetime exist in our universe?

Yes, spherically symmetric spacetime can exist in our universe. In fact, our own universe is often described as having a spherically symmetric geometry on a large scale.

5. How is spherically symmetric spacetime used in practical applications?

Spherically symmetric spacetime is used in practical applications such as GPS systems and satellite communication, where precise calculations of time and space are necessary. It is also used in the study of cosmology and the behavior of the universe on a large scale.