Spherical mirrors (concave), easy plug in chug, but i f'ed it up

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving spherical mirrors and the calculation of image distance and lateral magnification. The problem provides object distance, mirror type, and focal distance, but the individual is unsure of what the focal distance symbol means. They also mention that their calculation may be incorrect.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I tried a problem on concave mirros and i have no idea why this is wrong. I was given enough info but still didn't like it. Here is the problem:
Spherical mirrors. Object O stands on the central axis of a spherical mirror. The table gives object distance p, the type of mirror, and focal distance f. Find the image distance i and the lateral magnification m of the object, including signs.

p (cm) = +25
Mirror = concave
f (cm) = *17

Find i(cm) and m.

Idon't know what the *17 means though! I just took it as a the foocal distance f = 17cm.

http://suprfile.com/src/1/69173g/lastscan.jpg

Any idea where i f'ed it up? thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your math. 1/4 + 1/4 does not equal 1/8.

Ahh thanks Eep, either i drank too much coffee or not enough hah.

Related to Spherical mirrors (concave), easy plug in chug, but i f'ed it up

1. What is the difference between a concave and convex spherical mirror?

A concave spherical mirror curves inward, while a convex spherical mirror curves outward. This results in different properties and uses for each type of mirror.

2. How does a concave spherical mirror work?

A concave spherical mirror has a curved surface that reflects light towards a focal point. This allows for magnification and is commonly used in telescopes and makeup mirrors.

3. What is the focal point of a concave spherical mirror?

The focal point of a concave spherical mirror is the point where all reflected light rays converge. It is located halfway between the center of curvature and the mirror's surface.

4. Can concave spherical mirrors produce real and virtual images?

Yes, concave spherical mirrors can produce both real and virtual images. Real images are produced when the object is placed beyond the focal point, while virtual images are produced when the object is placed between the focal point and the mirror.

5. How can I determine the magnification of a concave spherical mirror?

The magnification of a concave spherical mirror can be calculated by dividing the image height by the object height. If the result is greater than 1, the image is magnified; if it is less than 1, the image is reduced in size.