Spherical mirror radius of curvature

In summary: Remember that when subtracting fractions, you need to find a common denominator. In this case, the common denominator is 10.8, so the correct equation is \frac{1}{p} + \frac{1}{q} = \frac{10.8-1.13}{10.8}. The rest of your calculations are correct. In summary, to determine the mirror's radius of curvature, we use the equation \frac{2}{R}=\frac{1}{p} + \frac{1}{q}, where p is the distance of the object from the mirror and q is the distance of the image from the mirror. In this case, p = 1.13 cm and q = -10.
roam

Homework Statement

A dentist uses a spherical mirror to examine a tooth. The tooth is 1.13 cm in front of the mirror, and the image is formed 10.8 cm behind the mirror. Determine the mirror's radius of curvature.

Homework Equations

1/p+1/q=1/f

f=R/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the object is in front of the mirror, p > 0. With the image behind the mirror q < 0. So the radius of curvature is

[tex]\frac{2}{R}=\frac{1}{p} + \frac{1}{q} = \frac{1}{1.13} - \frac{1}{10.8} = \frac{10.8-1.13}{10.8}[/tex]

So [tex]R = 2 \frac{10.8}{9.67} = 2.233[/tex]

Why is my answer is wrong? I think I used the correct equations. I tried the same question with different numbers and the computer still marks my answer wrong. Any explanation would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\frac{1}{1.13}-\frac{1}{10.8}\neq\frac{10.8-1.13}{10.8}[/itex]

roam said:

Homework Statement

A dentist uses a spherical mirror to examine a tooth. The tooth is 1.13 cm in front of the mirror, and the image is formed 10.8 cm behind the mirror. Determine the mirror's radius of curvature.

Homework Equations

1/p+1/q=1/f

f=R/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the object is in front of the mirror, p > 0. With the image behind the mirror q < 0. So the radius of curvature is

[tex]\frac{2}{R}=\frac{1}{p} + \frac{1}{q} = \frac{1}{1.13} - \frac{1}{10.8} = \frac{10.8-1.13}{10.8}[/tex]

So [tex]R = 2 \frac{10.8}{9.67} = 2.233[/tex]

Why is my answer is wrong? I think I used the correct equations. I tried the same question with different numbers and the computer still marks my answer wrong. Any explanation would be appreciated.

You mucked up the subtraction of two fractions - in particular, the denominator.

Related to Spherical mirror radius of curvature

What is the definition of spherical mirror radius of curvature?

The spherical mirror radius of curvature is the distance between the center of curvature (C) and the vertex (V) of a spherical mirror. It is denoted by the symbol "R" and is a measure of the curvature of the mirror surface.

How is the radius of curvature related to the focal length of a spherical mirror?

The radius of curvature (R) and the focal length (f) of a spherical mirror are directly related. They are equal in magnitude, but have opposite signs. This means that if the radius of curvature is positive, the focal length is negative, and vice versa.

Can the radius of curvature of a spherical mirror be negative?

Yes, the radius of curvature of a spherical mirror can be negative. This indicates that the mirror is a concave mirror, where the center of curvature is in front of the mirror surface. A negative radius of curvature also means that the focal length is positive, indicating a real image is formed by the mirror.

How does the radius of curvature affect the image formed by a spherical mirror?

The radius of curvature affects the size and position of the image formed by a spherical mirror. A larger radius of curvature results in a smaller and closer image, while a smaller radius of curvature results in a larger and further image. Additionally, a negative radius of curvature results in an inverted image, while a positive radius of curvature results in an upright image.

How can the radius of curvature be measured for a spherical mirror?

The radius of curvature can be measured using a spherometer, which is a specialized instrument with three legs that is placed on the mirror surface. The distance between the center leg and the outer legs can be measured, which is equal to the radius of curvature. Alternatively, the focal length can be measured and then used to calculate the radius of curvature using the relationship R = 2f.