Spherical Harmonics: Showing $\delta_{m,0}\sqrt{\frac{2\ell + 1}{4\pi}}$

In summary, The expression given is trying to show the identity that \(Y_{\ell}^m(0,\varphi) = \delta_{m,0}\sqrt{\frac{2\ell + 1}{4\pi}}\) is true. The kronecker delta \(\delta _{m, 0}\) forces the expression to be 0 unless \(m=0\), and the associated Legendre polynomial is the only term that drops out for \(\theta=0\). This simplification is not significant, as it only applies to \(m=0\). To show the identity is true, it is necessary to use other methods rather than going through each value of \(m\) systematically.
Dustinsfl
I am trying to show that
\[
Y_{\ell}^m(0,\varphi) = \delta_{m,0}\sqrt{\frac{2\ell + 1}{4\pi}}.
\]
When \(m = 0\), I obtain \(\sqrt{\frac{2\ell + 1}{4\pi}}\).

However, I am not getting 0 for other \(m\). Plus, to show this is true, I can't methodically go through each \(m\).

How can I do this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
I am trying to show that
\[
Y_{\ell}^m(0,\varphi) = \delta_{m,0}\sqrt{\frac{2\ell + 1}{4\pi}}.
\]
When \(m = 0\), I obtain \(\sqrt{\frac{2\ell + 1}{4\pi}}\).

However, I am not getting 0 for other \(m\). Plus, to show this is true, I can't methodically go through each \(m\).

How can I do this?
The \(\displaystyle \delta _{m, 0} \) forces the expression to be 0 unless m = 0. There is no other m to compute with. I'm not sure what you are trying to get at with the "other" m values?

-Dan

topsquark said:
The \(\displaystyle \delta _{m, 0} \) forces the expression to be 0 unless m = 0. There is no other m to compute with. I'm not sure what you are trying to get at with the "other" m values?

-Dan

I understand the kronecker delta. I am trying to show the identity is true.

dwsmith said:
I understand the kronecker delta. I am trying to show the identity is true.
Oh! I see the problem now. Yes, the expression is not correct.
\(\displaystyle Y_l^m( \theta, \phi ) = (-1)^m \sqrt{ \frac{2l + 1}{4 \pi} \frac{(l - m)!}{(l + m)!}} P_l^m( cos ( \theta ) ) e^{i m \phi }\)

Gah! I can't get the LaTeX to code the second line. Anyway, the only term that drops out for theta = 0 is the associated Legendre polynomial. Not much of a simplification. Are you perhaps adding some together?

-Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
topsquark said:
Oh! I see the problem now. Yes, the expression is not correct.
\(\displaystyle Y_l^m( \theta, \phi ) = (-1)^m \sqrt{ \frac{2l + 1}{4 \pi} \frac{(l - m)!}{(l + m)!}} P_l^m( cos ( \theta ) ) e^{i m \phi }\)

Gah! I can't get the LaTeX to code the second line. Anyway, the only term that drops out for theta = 0 is the associated Legendre polynomial. Not much of a simplification. Are you perhaps adding some together?

-Dan

No but I am pretty sure it is correct. I have Mathematica so I have entered in SphericalY[l,m,0,\phi] and tried different l's and m's, but every time m is nonzero, I do get zero back.

dwsmith said:
No but I am pretty sure it is correct. I have Mathematica so I have entered in SphericalY[l,m,0,\phi] and tried different l's and m's, but every time m is nonzero, I do get zero back.
Okay, yes you are correct. I had been thinking that \(\displaystyle P_l^m(1) = 1\) but that's only true for m = 0. When theta = 0 \(\displaystyle P_l^m(1) = 0\) for non-zero m as all the non-zero m are proportional to sin(theta).

-Dan

Related to Spherical Harmonics: Showing $\delta_{m,0}\sqrt{\frac{2\ell + 1}{4\pi}}$

1. What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are a set of mathematical functions used to describe the variations in a physical quantity over the surface of a sphere. They are commonly used in physics, mathematics, and engineering to solve problems involving spherical symmetry.

2. What is the significance of the term $\delta_{m,0}$ in the equation for spherical harmonics?

The term $\delta_{m,0}$ represents the Kronecker delta function, which is equal to 1 when m = 0 and 0 otherwise. In the context of spherical harmonics, it indicates that the function is only non-zero when the magnetic quantum number (m) is equal to 0. This results in a spherical harmonic that is independent of the azimuthal angle and only depends on the polar angle.

3. What does the term $\sqrt{\frac{2\ell + 1}{4\pi}}$ represent in the equation for spherical harmonics?

The term $\sqrt{\frac{2\ell + 1}{4\pi}}$ is a normalization factor that ensures the spherical harmonics are orthonormal, meaning that their inner product is equal to 1. This factor also takes into account the number of possible values for the magnetic quantum number (m) and the total angular momentum quantum number ($\ell$).

4. How are spherical harmonics used in science?

Spherical harmonics are used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and geophysics. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving spherical symmetry, such as those related to the behavior of atoms, molecules, and planetary bodies.

5. Is there a physical interpretation of spherical harmonics?

Yes, there is a physical interpretation of spherical harmonics. In physics, they are often used to describe the angular dependence of a physical quantity, such as the electric or magnetic field, in a spherical coordinate system. In chemistry, they are used to describe the electron density around an atomic nucleus. In geophysics, they are used to model the Earth's gravitational field and the distribution of mass within the Earth.