Spherical Geometry (Two dimension ) Defining a metric

In summary, In a positively curved space, the distance between two points is given by the equation: $$ds^2=dr^2+R^2sin^2(\frac {r}{R})dθ^2$$
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am trying to understand how to define a metric for a positively curved two-dimensional space.I am reading a book and in there it says,

On the surface of a sphere, we can set up a polar coordinate system by picking a pair of antipodal points to be the “north pole” and “south pole” and by picking a geodesic from the north to south pole to be the “prime meridian”. If ##r## is the distance from the north pole, and ##θ## is the azimuthal angle measured relative to the prime meridian, then the distance ds between a point ##(r,θ)## and another nearby point ##(r+dr,θ+dθ)## is given by the relation
$$ds^2 = dr^2 + R^2sin^2(\frac {r}{R})dθ^2$$
where ##R## is the readius of the sphere.

If I think ,flat two dimensional space the metric will be;
$$ds^2 = dr^2 + r^2dθ^2$$

I know the derivation of this so it gives me a bit clue about it,
In this case

upload_2017-12-27_15-50-22.png

So in positively curved space instead of ##rdθ## we will have ##R^2sin^2(\frac {r}{R})dθ## which its kind of obvious.

So anyone who can help to understand the concept maybe an image ?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-27_15-41-40.png
    upload_2017-12-27_15-41-40.png
    4 KB · Views: 578
  • upload_2017-12-27_15-50-22.png
    upload_2017-12-27_15-50-22.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 681
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure I understand what your question is.

Orodruin said:
I am not sure I understand what your question is.

I didnt understand where the $$ds^2 = dr^2 + R^2sin^2(\frac {r}{R})dθ^2$$ comes from. Like It writes there yes but I can't make a picture in my head...In example why there is sin function ?

Consider a circle on the sphere around one of the poles of radius ##r##. What would be the circumference of this circle?

upload_2017-12-27_18-44-32.png

So I guess I find it, here ##k=Rsin(\frac {r}{R})## cause when we set ##r=R## we should get a ##k=R##.

So $$ds^2 = dr^2 + R^2sin^2(\frac {r}{R})dθ^2$$

In here its actually ##ds^2 = dr^2 + k^2dθ^2## ?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-27_18-44-32.png
    upload_2017-12-27_18-44-32.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 600
When you set ##r = R## you have an angle from the pole that corresponds to one radian and so you get ##R \sin(1~\mbox{rad})## as your ##k##. Note that the ##r## you have marked in the figure is not the ##r## coordinate or the radius of the circle along the sphere's surface. The ##r## coordinate is the distance from the pole along the surface of the sphere.

I need an image I guess..I am unfamilier with polar coordinates.Its hars for me to describe and understand in those terms.

Orodruin said:
Consider a circle on the sphere around one of the poles of radius ##r##. What would be the circumference of this circle?

##sin(r)## ? where ##0≤0≤π## ?

Orodruin said:

##sin(r)## ? where ##0≤0≤π## ?

Is this metric can be also described as;

##ds^2=dr^2+sin^2(r)dθ^2## ?

Arman777 said:
I need an image I guess..I am unfamilier with polar coordinates.Its hars for me to describe and understand in those terms.
Polar coordinates on the sphere work just as polar coordinates in a plane. You refer to a point by using the distance ##r## and direction ##\theta## from the origin.

I guess I understand, For a case where unit circle ##ds^2=dr^2+sin^2(r)dθ^2## this is true. If we take a part of a circle in this sphere then the radius of the sphere will be ##sin(r)##. But since its not a unit circle, the radius of a given circle in the sphere will be, ##Rsin(\frac {r} {R})## so then It turns just a normal circle metric.

1. What is spherical geometry?

Spherical geometry is a type of geometry that deals with objects on the surface of a sphere. It is a non-Euclidean geometry, meaning it does not follow the same rules and principles as traditional Euclidean geometry.

2. How is spherical geometry different from Euclidean geometry?

Spherical geometry differs from Euclidean geometry in a few key ways. In spherical geometry, there are no parallel lines, all angles of a triangle add up to more than 180 degrees, and the shortest distance between two points is not a straight line but a curved arc on the surface of the sphere.

3. What is the metric used in spherical geometry?

The metric used in spherical geometry is the great-circle distance, also known as the arc length. It measures the shortest distance between two points on the surface of a sphere along the arc of a great circle, which is a circle that divides the sphere into two equal halves.

4. How is the metric of spherical geometry defined?

The metric of spherical geometry is defined using the angular distance between two points on the surface of a sphere. This is calculated by finding the central angle between the two points and multiplying it by the radius of the sphere. The result is the arc length or great-circle distance between the two points.

5. What are some real-life applications of spherical geometry?

Spherical geometry has several real-life applications, such as navigation and astronomy. It is used to calculate the shortest route between two points on the surface of the Earth, and also to determine the positions of stars and planets in the sky. It is also used in cartography to create maps of the Earth's surface.