Spherical Conductors: Voltage Calculation & Equilibrium | ρs=ρ0cos2theta

In summary: But it's easier to work in terms of angle subtended at the centre of the sphere. Let A be the point where the chord shown touches the sphere at top right. What angle does the chord OA subtend at the centre of the sphere? Call this angle ##\phi##. Consider the circular band width ##d\phi## passing through A. What potential does that produce at O?The potential at point O is just the charge on the sphere multiplied by the electric field at that point. It is just 2πR/(3ε0).
pitbull
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Given two spherical conductors of radius R and tangent at O, both are charged and in equilibrium with surface charge density ρs0cos2theta. Calculate:
a) Voltage of both spheres at O. (SOLUTION: V=2ρ0R/(3ε0)
(...)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried to solve it, first saying that both have the same voltage on its surface, thus, the voltage at point O is the same as voltage anywhere else on the surface of any of those spheres. I integrated ρs on the surface on one sphere, (R between 0 and R, and theta between 0 and 2pi), and I got a charge of R2ρ0pi/4 on one sphere,
Then I use Gauss to find the Electric field made by such sphere and integrate to find the voltage on the surface of the sphere, and I got V=ρ0R/(8ε0). I cannot find what's wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Where theta is...?
I'm a bit puzzled, though. In principle, one could deduce the surface charge distribution from the total charge and other information. Are we to suppose that the given formula is the solution? Or is 'conducting' a mistake here?

I integrated ρs on the surface on one sphere, (R between 0 and R, and theta between 0 and 2pi), and I got a charge of R2ρ0pi/4 on one sphere,
Can you show what you did ? A sphere sounds three-dimensional. What happened to ##\phi## and why do you let ##\theta## go from 0 to ##2\pi## ? What do you think the charge density at O is ?

A drawing might make things a lot clearer, also for potential helpers (see the confusion with haru, who will help you further, since it's past my bedtime here :) )

haruspex said:
Where theta is...?
I'm a bit puzzled, though. In principle, one could deduce the surface charge distribution from the total charge and other information. Are we to suppose that the given formula is the solution? Or is 'conducting' a mistake here?

BvU said:
Can you show what you did ? A sphere sounds three-dimensional. What happened to ##\phi## and why do you let ##\theta## go from 0 to ##2\pi## ? What do you think the charge density at O is ?

A drawing might make things a lot clearer, also for potential helpers (see the confusion with haru, who will help you further, since it's past my bedtime here :) )

The solution is not a formula, it is just what the textbook gives as a solution. I don't know why I was thinking of polar coordinates, so I have the wrong limits for the integral o0). I just saw the drawing. It was on the back of the page, so now it should make sense. But now that I saw the drawing, I can't calculate ds for the integral

Attachments

• drawing.png
    drawing.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 444
pitbull said:
The solution is not a formula, it is just what the textbook gives as a solution. I don't know why I was thinking of polar coordinates, so I have the wrong limits for the integral o0). I just saw the drawing. It was on the back of the page, so now it should make sense. But now that I saw the drawing, I can't calculate ds for the integral
OK, the diagram helps. With theta defined that way, I confirm that the formula for charge density is indeed a solution.
But it's easier to work in terms of angle subtended at the centre of the sphere. Let A be the point where the chord shown touches the sphere at top right. What angle does the chord OA subtend at the centre of the sphere? Call this angle ##\phi##. Consider the circular band width ##d\phi## passing through A. What potential does that produce at O?

Related to Spherical Conductors: Voltage Calculation & Equilibrium | ρs=ρ0cos2theta

What is a spherical conductor?

A spherical conductor is a material or object that allows the flow of electricity through it with little resistance. It is usually composed of a metal and has a spherical shape.

What is voltage calculation for spherical conductors?

Voltage calculation for spherical conductors involves using the equation V = Q/C, where V is the voltage, Q is the charge, and C is the capacitance of the conductor. This equation helps determine the amount of voltage needed to produce a certain charge on the conductor.

What is equilibrium in relation to spherical conductors?

Equilibrium in relation to spherical conductors refers to the state where the electric field inside the conductor is zero. This means that charges are evenly distributed on the surface of the conductor, resulting in no net electric field inside.

What is the significance of ρs=ρ0cos2theta in spherical conductors?

ρs=ρ0cos2theta is a mathematical expression that represents the radial dependence of the surface charge density in a spherical conductor. It shows how the surface charge density varies with the angle θ from the center of the conductor, with ρ0 being the maximum surface charge density at the poles (θ=0 or θ=π).

How does the surface charge density affect the electric field inside a spherical conductor?

The surface charge density affects the electric field inside a spherical conductor by determining the charge distribution on the surface. A higher surface charge density results in a stronger electric field inside the conductor, while a lower surface charge density results in a weaker electric field. This can also affect the equilibrium state of the conductor.