Spherical cavity in a dielectric with a point charge inside

In summary, the student is trying to find the force acting on a charge placed a distance r0 from the center of a spherical cavity of radius a. The entire cavity is immersed in a dielectric material, epsilon2. The student has found the field inside the cavity with no charge, but now that there's this point charge floating around, they have difficulty finding the force. They reevaluate their problem and decide to use images to find the field inside the cavity. They find that the potential is affected by the point charge, but they still don't understand how the method of images works for a spherical set-up. They need help understanding how to find the field and the charge.
quasar_4

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the force acting on a charge placed a distance r0 from the center of a spherical cavity of radius a. The entire cavity is immersed in a dielectric material, epsilon2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my quandary: I can find the field inside the cavity with no charge. This is fine. But now that there's this point charge floating around, I have

[tex] \nabla \cdot D_{in} = \rho [/tex]
[tex] \nabla \cdot D_{out} = 0 [/tex]

Well, the form of the potential is obviously

[tex] \Phi_{in} = \sum_{l=0}^{\infty} A_l r^l P_l(\cos{\theta}) [/tex]
[tex] \Phi_{out} = -E0 r \cos{\theta}+ \sum_{l=0}^{\infty} B_l r^{-(l+1)} P_l(\cos{\theta}) [/tex]

where E0 is the applied field in the dielectric (without loss of generality, we can choose E0 to be in the z-direction).

I applied boundary conditions -- the normal component of D and the tangential component of E should be continuous at r = a (because there's no charge *there*). You get some nice equations, which you can easily solve for the coefficients A1 and B1 (all other terms in the Legendre polynomials vanish except l =1). I get:

[tex] A_1 = \frac{-3 \epsilon_2 E0}{2 \epsilon_2+\epsilon_0} [/tex]
[tex] B_1 = \frac{E0 a^3(\epsilon_0-\epsilon_2)}{2 \epsilon_2 + \epsilon_0} [/tex]

Great, I can plug these into my potential expressions...

But I don't see how my potential is even affected by this new charge q! I get the same result as for an empty cavity. That can't be right. So, do I need to use a totally different technique? I thought maybe the method of images is the way to go, but I don't understand how this works for a spherical set-up... where's the image charge if q is inside a sphere?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
quasar_4 said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the force acting on a charge placed a distance r0 from the center of a spherical cavity of radius a. The entire cavity is immersed in a dielectric material, epsilon2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my quandary: I can find the field inside the cavity with no charge. This is fine. But now that there's this point charge floating around, I have

[tex] \nabla \cdot D_{in} = \rho [/tex]
[tex] \nabla \cdot D_{out} = 0 [/tex]

Well, the form of the potential is obviously

[tex] \Phi_{in} = \sum_{l=0}^{\infty} A_l r^l P_l(\cos{\theta}) [/tex]
[tex] \Phi_{out} = -E0 r \cos{\theta}+ \sum_{l=0}^{\infty} B_l r^{-(l+1)} P_l(\cos{\theta}) [/tex]
where E0 is the applied field in the dielectric (without loss of generality, we can choose E0 to be in the z-direction).

I don't see any mention of an applied uniform electric field in the problem statement. :confused:

As for your point charge, just add an additional [tex]\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{|\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}_0|}[/tex] to [itex]\Phi_{in}[/itex] (before applying boundary conditions!).

I don't know what to make of it that it doesn't mention an applied electric field in the dielectric. Should I then omit the E0*r*cos(theta) from my solution outside the sphere?

quasar_4 said:
I don't know what to make of it that it doesn't mention an applied electric field in the dielectric. Should I then omit the E0*r*cos(theta) from my solution outside the sphere?

Yes, if there is no externally applied field, then [itex]E_0[/itex] is zero. You can't just copy and paste solutions to similar but different problems and expect to get things right.

All right, I've rethought this. Now I think it might be best to use images. So here's what I've got:

Inside the sphere:

[tex] \Phi_{in} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \left(\frac{q}{[r^2 + r_0^2 - 2 r r_0 \cos{\theta}]^{1/2}}+\frac{q'}{[r^2 + {r'}_0^2 - 2 r {r'}_0 \cos{\theta}]^{1/2}} \right) [/tex]

Outside:

[tex] \Phi_{out} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_2} \frac{q''}{[r^2 + r_0^2 - 2 r r_0 \cos{\theta}]^{1/2}} [/tex]

Now for D, we can demand that

[tex] \epsilon_0 \frac{\partial \Phi_{in}}{\partial r} |_{r=a} = \epsilon_2 \frac{\partial \Phi_{out}}{\partial r} |_{r=a} [/tex]

while for E,

[tex] \frac{\partial \Phi_{in}}{\partial \theta} |_{r=a} = \frac{\partial \Phi_{out}}{\partial \theta} |_{r=a} [/tex].

These give us two equations, but I can't figure out how to find r0', so I have three unknowns... how can I find q' and q''?

Update: after using continuity of phi across the boundary I got a third equation, which I used to find r0' = a^2/r0. But using that in my original two sets of equations gives me a q' and a q'' that both depend on theta... can that even be correct? Does it make physical sense that the value of q' would depend on theta? It doesn't seem so to me, in which case I have no idea how to correctly find them... :( any help would be great.

Related to Spherical cavity in a dielectric with a point charge inside

1. What is a spherical cavity in a dielectric?

A spherical cavity in a dielectric is a void or empty space within a material that has a non-zero permittivity (ability to store an electric field). This cavity is typically spherical in shape and can exist within a solid, liquid, or gas.

2. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a mathematical concept used in physics to represent a single, concentrated charge at a specific point in space. It is often used to simplify calculations and can be either positive or negative.

3. How does a point charge affect the electric field inside a spherical cavity?

The presence of a point charge inside a spherical cavity creates an electric field within the dielectric material surrounding the cavity. The strength of this electric field depends on the magnitude and sign of the point charge, as well as the permittivity of the material.

4. What is the relationship between the size of the cavity and the electric field inside?

The size of the spherical cavity has a direct effect on the electric field inside. As the size of the cavity decreases, the electric field inside increases. This is because a smaller cavity means that the electric field lines are more concentrated, resulting in a stronger field.

5. Are there any real-world applications of a spherical cavity with a point charge inside?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of this concept. One example is in the design and functionality of capacitors, which use a dielectric material and a point charge to store electric energy. Additionally, this concept is also used in the study of electrostatics and in the development of electronic devices.