Spherical capacitor in a uniform magnetic field

In summary: Only the region within a<r<b is of interest.In summary, the problem involves two concentric spherical shells with charges +Q and -Q at radii a and b, respectively, immersed in a uniform magnetic field along the z-axis. The only non-zero electric field is within the region between a and b, and the B-field within this region can be assumed to be the same as in a vacuum. The angular momentum of the fields can be calculated without considering the B-field outside this region.
AdamIsCylon

Homework Statement

Two concentric spherical shells carrying uniformly distributed charges +Q and -Q at radii a and b, respectively (b>a). Now, they are immersed in a uniform magnetic field pointing along the z-axis. Find the angular momentum of the fields.

Homework Equations

No need. (I know them; don't need help using them; I can post them if somebody really wants).

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the math and the equations that must be used. I simply need to find the E and B fields. I am confused as to what happens when placing the spheres in the uniform magnetic field. I know that typically for a spherical capacitor, the only non-zero charge will be a < r < b. I don't believe this will change when placed in the uniform magnetic field, and I think the E field will remain as E=k*Q/r^2 pointing radially outward. However, what will the B-field be within the spherical capacitor? It doesn't seem likely that it would remain the same (in the z-direction); but I am not sure how it would change. Also, since E is zero at r<a and r>b, I don't need to worry about the B-field in those locations to calculate the angular momentum of the fields/

My confusion is simply on the physical principles. Can somebody help clear up what is happening for the fields at a<r<b? If any of my understanding above is incorrect, please let me know that as well.

I appreciate any attempt to help (and apologize if this is the wrong section).

Physics news on Phys.org
AdamIsCylon said:
I know that typically for a spherical capacitor, the only non-zero charge will be a < r < b. I don't believe this will change when placed in the uniform magnetic field, and I think the E field will remain as E=k*Q/r^2 pointing radially outward.
Yep, sounds good. (Except I guess you mean that the only non-zero electric field is within that region).

AdamIsCylon said:
However, what will the B-field be within the spherical capacitor? It doesn't seem likely that it would remain the same (in the z-direction); but I am not sure how it would change.
It will depend on what material is between the concentric shells. But since they don't mention what that material is, you can assume that it is effectively vacuum.

AdamIsCyclon said:
Also, since E is zero at r<a and r>b, I don't need to worry about the B-field in those locations to calculate the angular momentum of the fields/
I agree.

Related to Spherical capacitor in a uniform magnetic field

1. What is a spherical capacitor in a uniform magnetic field?

A spherical capacitor in a uniform magnetic field is a device that consists of two concentric spherical electrodes separated by a small distance, with a uniform magnetic field applied perpendicular to the electrodes. It is used to store and manipulate electrical charges and is commonly found in electronic circuits.

2. How does a spherical capacitor in a uniform magnetic field work?

The magnetic field exerts a force on the charges within the capacitor, causing them to move in circular orbits around the axis of the electrodes. This results in a buildup of charges on the surfaces of the electrodes, creating an electric field between them. The magnetic field and the electric field work together to store and manipulate charges within the capacitor.

3. What is the mathematical expression for the capacitance of a spherical capacitor in a uniform magnetic field?

The capacitance of a spherical capacitor in a uniform magnetic field can be expressed as C = 4πεr0r, where εr is the relative permittivity of the material between the electrodes, r0 is the radius of the inner electrode, and r is the distance between the two electrodes.

4. What factors affect the capacitance of a spherical capacitor in a uniform magnetic field?

The capacitance of a spherical capacitor in a uniform magnetic field is affected by the relative permittivity of the material between the electrodes, the radius of the inner electrode, and the distance between the two electrodes. It is also influenced by the strength of the applied magnetic field and the charge on the electrodes.

5. What are some real-world applications of a spherical capacitor in a uniform magnetic field?

Spherical capacitors in uniform magnetic fields are commonly used in electronic circuits for storing and manipulating charges. They are also used in particle accelerators and mass spectrometers for their ability to generate and control magnetic fields. In addition, spherical capacitors in uniform magnetic fields have applications in medical imaging and nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy.