Speed to give box up incline to reach top (work-energy theorem)

In summary, to reach the top of the incline, the box must move at a minimum speed of g, and the relationship between cot x and tan x is unknown.
KurtWagner
Hi guys,
I have come across a problem that I thought I was doing correctly but it seems I am not as my answer seems way too easy and is not the right one either. I don’t need the question worked out for me. I just need someone to give me a nudge in the right direction.

Homework Statement

“You must project a box up an incline of constant slope angle α so that it reaches a vertical distance h above the bottom of the incline. The incline is slippery but there is some friction present.
Use the work-energy theorem to calculate the minimum speed you must give the box at the bottom of the incline so that it will reach the top. Express your answer in terms of g, h, µ, and α.”

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was using:

(1/2)mv2 = mgh + µmg cos(α) (h /sin(α))
with h / sin(α) being the hypotenuse(i.e. the distance up the ramp)

When I try to solve this for v I get to:

v = (2gh + 2µgh cot(α))1/2

However, the answer is supposed to be:

v = (2gh[1 + μ/tan(α)])1/2Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relationship between cot x and tan x?

I don't know. I only arrived at cot(x) as a result of working out my original equation and it does not match the answer.

KurtWagner said:
I don't know. I only arrived at cot(x) as a result of working out my original equation and it does not match the answer.
You got cot α by rewriting cos α/sin α. What is tan α in terms of sin α and cos α?

Likes 1 person
Wow. Thanks, that did it.

I changed cot α back to cos α/sin α and then divided by cos α, multiplied by sin α and kept going from there.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I know you've already solved the problem, but your answer is entirely equivalent to the given answer from the book or whatever. The 2gh is factored out and cot = 1/tan

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I know you've already solved the problem, but your answer is entirely equivalent to the given answer from the book or whatever. The 2gh is factored out and cot = 1/tan

Thanks. That is a much easier way to do it.

Related to Speed to give box up incline to reach top (work-energy theorem)

What is the "Speed to give box up incline to reach top" problem?

The "Speed to give box up incline to reach top" problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the minimum speed needed to push a box up an incline in order to reach the top. This problem is commonly used to demonstrate the application of the work-energy theorem in physics.

What is the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In other words, the work done on an object by a force is equal to the change in its speed or velocity.

How do you calculate the minimum speed needed to push a box up an incline?

In order to calculate the minimum speed needed to push a box up an incline, you will need to use the work-energy theorem. The formula for this calculation is KE + PE = KEf + PEf, where KE is the initial kinetic energy, PE is the initial potential energy, KEf is the final kinetic energy, and PEf is the final potential energy. By rearranging this formula, you can solve for the initial kinetic energy, which will give you the minimum speed needed for the box to reach the top of the incline.

What factors can affect the minimum speed needed to push a box up an incline?

The minimum speed needed to push a box up an incline can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the box, the incline angle, and any external forces acting on the box. These factors can change the amount of work needed to move the box and, therefore, affect the minimum speed required.

How is the "Speed to give box up incline to reach top" problem relevant in real life?

The "Speed to give box up incline to reach top" problem has many practical applications in everyday life. For example, it can be used to determine the minimum speed needed to push a car up a hill or the speed needed to launch a rocket into orbit. It is also relevant in industries such as construction and transportation, where workers may need to calculate the minimum speed required to move heavy objects up inclines.