Speed related to Average Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between speed and average velocity, and how to solve for a second constant speed given a set of known values. The equations for speed and average velocity are clarified, and the attempt at solving the problem is also provided.
suessthezeus

Homework Statement

I am having difficulty thinking about this problem. How is speed related to average velocity?

A car travels along a straight line at a constant speed of 47.0 mi/h for a distance d and then another distance d in the same direction at another constant speed. The average velocity for the entire trip is 33.5 mi/h.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been trying to think of it in these terms

(54 + Q) = 33.5

I know this isn't right...can I get some direction

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity is a vector, meaning that it has a size and direction, speed is a scalar meaning that it only has a size.

Assuming relative values , distance d is equal to distance d, your set up could be:
(47MPH Forward + (X)MPH Forward)/2d = 33.5 Forward

Let d be any real number, in this case the simplest number, one. you would then have:
(47MPH Forward +(X)MPH Forward)/2 = 33.5 Forward
(47MPH Forward +(X)MPH Forward) = 67

Remember if it ask for a vector as a answer you MUST provide direction.

SPOILER: Attempted Soution-
X MPH Forward = 20

Where does (54+Q) come from? This probably belongs in the relevant equations section.
speed is a scalar quantity, average velocity is a vector
also
A car travels along a straight line at a constant speed of 47.0 mi/h for a distance d and then another distance d in the same direction at another constant speed. The average velocity for the entire trip is 33.5 mi/h.
this isn't asking a clear question, despite it's presence in the problem statement

I think he is solving for the second "constant speed"

Such a kind person so unlike myself XD indeed it was, or seems to be, implicitly there

Related to Speed related to Average Velocity

What is the difference between speed and average velocity?

Speed refers to how fast an object is moving, while average velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of motion. Speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity.

How is speed related to average velocity?

Speed is a component of average velocity, as average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken. If an object is moving at a constant speed in a straight line, its speed will be equal to its average velocity.

Can speed and average velocity be the same?

Yes, if an object is moving at a constant speed in a straight line, its speed will be equal to its average velocity. However, if the object is changing its speed or direction, then the speed and average velocity will be different.

How does acceleration affect speed and average velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, and it can affect both the speed and average velocity of an object. If an object is accelerating, its speed will be changing, and therefore its average velocity will also be changing.

Why is average velocity a more accurate measure than speed?

Average velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while speed does not. This makes average velocity a more accurate measure of an object's overall motion, especially if the object is changing its direction or speed.