Speed on an object given F and Ek....

• Thread starter talknerdy2me
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the formula for calculating speed on an object given force and kinetic energy is speed = √(2 x kinetic energy / mass). This formula requires both force and kinetic energy to be known in order to accurately determine the speed. An increase in force will result in an increase in the speed of an object, while an increase in mass will decrease the speed. This is due to the direct and inverse proportional relationships between force and acceleration, and mass and speed, respectively. Additionally, kinetic energy and speed are directly proportional, meaning that as the speed of an object increases, its kinetic energy also increases. This is described by the equation for kinetic energy (KE = ½ x mass x velocity²).
talknerdy2me

Homework Statement

The kinetic energy of a 20N object is 5.00 x 10^2 J. What is the speed?

Homework Equations

Ek= 1/2 mv^2
and *i think*
F=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

F=mg
m=F/g
m=20N/9.81 m/s^2
m= 2.038 kg Ek= 1/2 mv^2
v=sq. root 2Ek/m
v=sq. root 2(5.00 x 10^2 J)/2.038 kg
v= 490 m/sIs this correct or do i need Jesus? lol

Physics news on Phys.org
talknerdy2me said:
Is this correct or do i need Jesus? lol
You don't need Jesus, you need to take the square root, lol2.

oh duh! ok so ... 22. 135 m/s?

Yup.

Related to Speed on an object given F and Ek....

1. What is the formula for calculating speed on an object given force and kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating speed on an object given force and kinetic energy is speed = √(2 x kinetic energy / mass). This formula is derived from the equation for kinetic energy (KE = ½ x mass x velocity²) and Newton's second law of motion (F = mass x acceleration).

2. Can speed be calculated if only force or kinetic energy is known?

No, speed cannot be calculated if only force or kinetic energy is known. The formula for calculating speed on an object requires both force and kinetic energy to be known. If only one of these variables is known, the speed cannot be accurately determined.

3. How does an increase in force affect the speed of an object?

An increase in force will result in an increase in the speed of an object, assuming all other variables remain constant. This is because force and acceleration are directly proportional according to Newton's second law of motion. Therefore, an increase in force will result in a greater acceleration, leading to a higher speed.

4. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and speed?

Kinetic energy and speed are directly proportional. This means that as the speed of an object increases, its kinetic energy also increases. This relationship is described by the equation for kinetic energy (KE = ½ x mass x velocity²), where the kinetic energy is directly proportional to the square of the velocity.

5. How is speed on an object affected by its mass?

The speed of an object is inversely proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of an object increases, its speed decreases, assuming all other variables remain constant. This is because a larger mass requires more force to be accelerated to the same speed as a smaller mass, according to Newton's second law of motion.