Speed of the second hand of a smoothly running analog watch?

In summary, the angular speed of the second hand of a smoothly running analog watch is 0.03 pi radians per second, or approximately 0.105 radians per second. This can also be calculated by converting 6 degrees per second to radians per second, as there are 2pi radians in a whole circle.
akoma714
(a) What is the angular speed of the second hand of a smoothly running analog watch?
____ (rad/s)

i got 0.03 pi
webassign says "Check the syntax of your response"
i also tried 0.03, but it's wrong also..

how do i put my answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
In radians. pi=180 radians, so 0.03pi= 0.03*180=5.4 radians.

But, w=theta/t=360/60=6 radians/second.

hmm, those were all wrong.. i don't know

chaoseverlasting said:
But, w=theta/t=360/60=6 radians/second.

I believe that gives you 6 degrees per second, which still needs to be converted into radians. There are [tex] 2 \pi[/tex] radians in a whole circle.

From the fact that when you entered "pi" webassign told you to check your syntax, I assume that this problem will not accept pi as part of an answer--if you get an answer with pi, multiply out!

360deg/1min = 360deg/60sec = 6deg/sec x 1rad/180deg = 0.03 rad/sec?

OH! I get it now..

360deg/60sec x 2pi rad/360deg = 0.105

Thanks for the help =]

akoma714 said:
360deg/1min = 360deg/60sec = 6deg/sec x 1pi rad/180deg = 0.03 pi rad/sec?
=(0.0333)*(3.14159...)=_________

edit: you beat me :). Happy physics!
BTW, notice that you multiplied and divided by 360o. You could have just started working in radians and saved yourself the trouble (but it would have required thinking in new units to begin with).

Last edited:

Related to Speed of the second hand of a smoothly running analog watch?

1. What causes the second hand of an analog watch to move?

The second hand of an analog watch is connected to a mechanism called the escapement. This mechanism regulates the movement of the watch hands by releasing the energy stored in the watch's mainspring in small, precise increments.

2. Why does the second hand move in a tick-tock motion?

The tick-tock motion of the second hand is a result of the pallet fork in the escapement. The pallet fork alternately engages with and releases the escape wheel, causing the second hand to move in a back and forth motion.

3. Is the speed of the second hand always constant?

No, the speed of the second hand can vary slightly depending on the watch's accuracy. Most analog watches are designed to keep time within a few seconds per day, which means the second hand may occasionally tick a little faster or slower than usual.

4. Can the speed of the second hand be adjusted?

Yes, the speed of the second hand can be adjusted by regulating the balance wheel, which is part of the escapement. This process involves making small adjustments to the balance spring to ensure the watch is keeping accurate time.

5. Why is the second hand sometimes referred to as the "sweep hand"?

The term "sweep hand" is often used to describe the second hand of an analog watch because it appears to sweep smoothly around the dial, rather than ticking in individual increments like the hour and minute hands. This is due to the quick movement of the pallet fork and escape wheel in the escapement.