Speed of sound in steel dependance on temperature

In summary, the conversation is about the speed of sound in steel and how it varies with temperature. The question is posed to a physicist and it is noted that both shear modulus and density decrease with increasing temperature. The main question is whether the speed of sound in steel increases or decreases with increasing temperature, and if there is a dependence on frequency. The suggestion is made to look up the temperature coefficients of shear modulus and density and plot a graph to find the answer. A link is also provided for dispersion information.
Karlos
Hello,

Nice easy question for you all today:

I would like to know how the speed of sound in steel varies with temperature. A google search didnt reveal a great deal, so if a physicist could confirm the relationship, that would be much appreciated.

I know that: v = √shear modulus/density

However, I am also aware that both shear modulus and density ought to decrease with increasing temperature.

So I suppose its a matter of which one decreases by the largest fraction for a given temperature rise! I don't know the answer.

So...does the speed of sound in steel increase or decrease with increasing temeprature?

A secondary question...is there any dependence on frequency? (ultrasound vs low freq for example)

Thank you for your time.

Science news on Phys.org
You could look up the temperature coefficients of those two quantities in steel and plot yourself a graph. You have the correct formula. :smile:
I think this link could be useful for dispersion information.

Likes berkeman

Related to Speed of sound in steel dependance on temperature

What is the speed of sound in steel?

The speed of sound in steel is approximately 5,960 meters per second at room temperature.

How does the speed of sound in steel compare to other materials?

Steel has a higher speed of sound compared to most other materials, such as air or water. However, it is slower than some other metals like aluminum or titanium.

Does the speed of sound in steel change with temperature?

Yes, the speed of sound in steel is directly proportional to temperature. As the temperature increases, the speed of sound in steel also increases, and vice versa.

How much does the speed of sound in steel change with temperature?

The speed of sound in steel changes by approximately 0.6 meters per second for every degree Celsius change in temperature. This value is known as the temperature coefficient of steel.

Why does the speed of sound in steel change with temperature?

The speed of sound in steel is affected by temperature because it is related to the thermal properties of the material. As the temperature increases, the atoms in the steel vibrate more, causing the sound waves to travel faster.