Speed of Light: What Frame of Reference?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speed of light and its frame of reference. It is mentioned that light travels at the same speed in all inertial frames of reference and does not have a frame of its own. The conversation also delves into the effects of gravity on light and how it is related to the space and time of other inertial frames. In conclusion, the speed of light can be measured by making a round trip measurement and it is affected by gravity through its propagation through spacetime.
mrnike992
My apologies for the numerous times this has probably been posted, but I wasn't able to find a great answer through the search tool alone.

Please correct me on anything I state incorrectly, and direct me to the answer..

My question is, if the speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s, its speed is measured with respect to what frame?
To say that it doesn't have a frame of reference makes no sense, because to have a speed, it has to have a distance traveled in a specified duration, right? With respect to what?

Thanks for any help,
Micheal

Physics news on Phys.org
And yes, I've found numerous posts and pages that answer this, but I have a few questions that I can't quite phrase, and will wait for a reply to formulate a response or a counter that will (hopefully) lead me to the answer.

mrnike992 said:
My question is, if the speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s, its speed is measured with respect to what frame?
To say that it doesn't have a frame of reference makes no sense ...
The universe does not do a great job of adhering to what we humans think "makes sense", it just is what it is.

Light travels at the same speed in all inertial frames of reference and does not have a frame of it's own. "Frame of reference" MEANS a frame in which an object is stationary, but light is never stationary.

Couldn't a frame of reference be the surroundings of light, the surroundings being at rest?

mrnike992 said:

Any and all (inertial) frames.

If you and I are moving at .5c relative to one another, we can choose to think of me at rest while you're moving in one direction, or you at rest while I'm moving in the other direction. But I will measure the speed of any and all light signals to be c relative to me, and likewise you will measure the speed of any and all light signals to be c relative to you.

So, if light moves at it's own speed, regardless of the observer, then how is it affected by gravity, if gravity is related to both the space and time of other, independent inertial frames?

mrnike992 said:
My apologies for the numerous times this has probably been posted, but I wasn't able to find a great answer through the search tool alone.

Please correct me on anything I state incorrectly, and direct me to the answer..

If you want to actually measure the speed of light (without knowing ahead of time what it is), you must make a round trip measurement using a single clock or timer and a ruler. You put the light source at one end of the ruler, a mirror at the other end of the ruler and you measure how long it takes for the light to propagate to the mirror and back. Then you do a little arithmetic and calculate what the "average" speed was. You have to make sure the ruler, clock, mirror, and light source are all inertial, that is not accelerating or moving with respect to each other but you don't have to explicitly devise a frame or be cognizant of what a frame is. Everyone who performs that above measurement, no matter their state of motion, as long as it is not accelerating, will get the same answer. We are assuming that effects due to gravity are negligible.

mrnike992 said:
To say that it doesn't have a frame of reference makes no sense, because to have a speed, it has to have a distance traveled in a specified duration, right?
Can't you have a ruler to specify the distance traveled (times two) and the clock or timer measure the duration? That is, for a round trip.

mrnike992 said:
With respect to what?

Thanks for any help,
Micheal
With respect to the ruler? Does that qualify?

Likes RogerWaters
mrnike992 said:
So, if light moves at it's own speed, regardless of the observer, then how is it affected by gravity, if gravity is related to both the space and time of other, independent inertial frames?
In GR "gravity" is the effect that mass (more correctly stress-energy) has on spacetime. Light still propagates through spacetime, so it is still affected by "gravity".

Note that gravity has no affect on light's local speed, so it's effect is different from what you probably think (direction and energy, but not speed).

Related to Speed of Light: What Frame of Reference?

1. What is the speed of light in a vacuum?

The speed of light in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or about 186,282 miles per second.

2. How does the speed of light change in different mediums?

The speed of light changes depending on the medium it is traveling through. In materials such as water or glass, the speed of light is slower than in a vacuum. The exact speed depends on the density and composition of the medium.

3. Does the speed of light change based on the observer's frame of reference?

No, the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference. This is a fundamental principle of Einstein's theory of relativity.

4. Is the speed of light the fastest anything can travel?

As far as we know, yes. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which energy, matter, or information can travel.

5. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

Based on our current understanding of physics, it is not possible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light. The speed of light is considered to be the cosmic speed limit.