Speed of Light Invariant in Vacuum: Experiment Proof

In summary: If so, the correct operation of the GPS system is an example.All the GPS satellites are moving relative to one another and the surface of the Earth while continuously exchanging light (at radio wavelengths) signals. Furthermore, different points on the surface of the Earth are moving in different directions at different speeds (because of the Earth's rotation). GPS positions are calculated using a constant speed of light, and would be way off if the motion of either the transmitters or receivers affected the speed of light.Every experiment performed on Earth involves a moving observer, as every point on the surface of the Earth is moving. This also includes the GPS system.The phrase "a moving observer" doesn't mean anything because every observer is at rest in one frame
freshnfree
I am getting confused as to which experiment proved that the speed of light was invariant in a vacuum. At first I thought it was the Michelson-Morley experiment but that does not have a moving observer.

Physics news on Phys.org
The MM experiment was attached to the earth, so it was moving at some point during the day and year. However, the MM experiment only detected the Isotropy of c. For a more complete account of the relevant experiments you should read the sticky thread at the top of the forum.

Dale said:
The MM experiment was attached to the earth, so it was moving at some point during the day and year. However, the MM experiment only detected the Isotropy of c. For a more complete account of the relevant experiments you should read the sticky thread at the top of the forum.
Hi, I have gone to the top of this forum but I am not sure of which sticky thread you are referring to.

Just wondering, also, how we do we know what light is doing in a vacuum because we don't see light until it reaches our atmosphere?

freshnfree said:
how we do we know what light is doing in a vacuum
We pull a vacuum and do experiments.

What kind of experiments?

freshnfree said:
What kind of experiments?
This is described in detail in the link above.

we cannot create very large vacuums and light travels incredibly fast. i cannot see any specific experiment that refers to this type of scenario.

freshnfree said:
we cannot create very large vacuums and light travels incredibly fast. i cannot see any specific experiment that refers to this type of scenario.
what type of a scenario?

There are many listed experiments done in vacuum. I don't know what being large or small has to do with anything. Just search with the word vacuum.

Also, you can put mirrors at each end of a vacuum chamber and let the light bounce multiple times to increase the effective length of the chamber - as LIGO does with its 4km long high-vacuum arms.

Dale said:
what type of a scenario?

There are many listed experiments done in vacuum. I don't know what being large or small has to do with anything. Just search with the word vacuum.
The scenario I am referring to is one which would show that the speed of light is invariant. So we would have a vacuum and a moving observer and a light wave. Could you please tell me of a known experiment of that type of scenario.

freshnfree said:
The scenario I am referring to is one which would show that the speed of light is invariant. So we would have a vacuum and a moving observer and a light wave. Could you please tell me of a known experiment of that type of scenario.

I provided a link to several in my post above.

freshnfree said:
Every experiment performed on Earth involves a moving observer, as every point on the surface of the Earth is moving. Do you mean an observer moving relative to the source of the light wave?

If so, the correct operation of the GPS system is an example. All the GPS satellites are moving relative to one another and the surface of the Earth while continuously exchanging light (at radio wavelengths) signals. Furthermore, different points on the surface of the Earth are moving in different directions at different speeds (because of the Earth's rotation). GPS positions are calculated using a constant speed of light, and would be way off if the motion of either the transmitters or receivers affected the speed of light.

freshnfree said:
The scenario I am referring to is one which would show that the speed of light is invariant.
All of the experiments in sections 3.1-3.4 do that.

freshnfree said:
So we would have a vacuum and a moving observer and a light wave.
The phrase "a moving observer" doesn't mean anything because every observer is at rest in one frame and moving in all other frames. I think that you mean "an observer moving relative to the source". This would include all of the experiments in 3.3. Be sure to read the explanation of "optical extinction", which is the key criticism regarding whether an experiment has a good enough vacuum.

Related to Speed of Light Invariant in Vacuum: Experiment Proof

What is the speed of light invariant in vacuum?

The speed of light invariant in vacuum refers to the constant speed at which light travels in a vacuum, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This means that the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion or the direction in which the light is traveling.

How is the speed of light invariant in vacuum determined?

The speed of light invariant in vacuum was first determined through the famous Michelson-Morley experiment in 1887. Since then, numerous experiments have been conducted to confirm the constant speed of light in a vacuum, including the Kennedy-Thorndike experiment and the Ives-Stilwell experiment.

Why is the speed of light invariant in vacuum important in physics?

The speed of light invariant in vacuum is a fundamental constant in physics and plays a crucial role in many theories and equations. It is the maximum speed at which any energy, information, or matter can travel, and is a key factor in understanding concepts such as special relativity and the relationship between space and time.

Is there any evidence that supports the speed of light being invariant in vacuum?

Yes, there is overwhelming evidence from various experiments that support the speed of light being invariant in vacuum. In addition to the Michelson-Morley experiment, other experiments such as the Fizeau experiment and the Airy disk experiment have also confirmed the constant speed of light in a vacuum.

Are there any exceptions to the speed of light being invariant in vacuum?

According to the theory of special relativity, the speed of light is always constant in a vacuum. However, it can change when traveling through a medium, such as water or glass. In these cases, light can be slowed down due to interactions with the particles in the medium, but it still remains constant within that medium.