Speed of Electrons: 1.13*10^6 m/s

In summary, to find the speed of two electrons separated by 2*10^(-10)m when they are a large distance apart, we can use the equations for electrical potential energy and kinetic energy. At a large distance apart, all of the potential energy stored at the start has been converted to kinetic energy. To account for relativistic adjustments, we must also consider the electron's elementary charge. The final answer should be 1.13*10^(6)m/s.
huntingrdr

Homework Statement

Two electrons separated by 2*10^(-10)m are released from rest. What is the speed of each electron when they are a large distance apart. (Both electrons will have the same speed.) The answer should be 1.13*10^(6)m/s.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure what formula to use. If I were given kinetic energy I think I could figure this one out, but can't with the info given. Any help on where to start?

Physics news on Phys.org
The relevant equations are the equations for electrical potential energy and kinetic energy.
At a large distance apart, all of the potential energy stored at the start (when the e- are separated by 2*10^(-10) m) have been converted to kinetic energy.

Some large distance probably refers to infinite. Find the initial energy of the system, which would be the electric potential energy, U. At infinite, U would mostly convert to kinetic energy, K.

If your answer exceeds the speed of light (or comes considerably close), you might want to add relativistic adjustments.

Yes. I had forgotten to mention relativistic adjustments as well. Also keep in mind that the electron has an elementary charge (this will be useful when determining the electric potential energy.)

Related to Speed of Electrons: 1.13*10^6 m/s

What is the speed of electrons?

The speed of electrons is measured in meters per second, and the numerical value is 1.13*10^6 m/s.

How is the speed of electrons determined?

The speed of electrons is determined through various experiments and calculations. One method is using the equation v = (e/m)*E, where v is the speed of the electron, e is the charge of the electron, m is the mass of the electron, and E is the electric field strength.

Why is the speed of electrons important?

The speed of electrons is important because it determines how quickly and efficiently electrical currents can flow through a material. It also plays a role in the behavior of electrons in electronic devices and circuits.

Can the speed of electrons vary?

Yes, the speed of electrons can vary depending on the material they are moving through and the strength of the electric field they are experiencing. In a vacuum, electrons can travel at nearly the speed of light, but in a material like copper, their speed is much slower.

How does the speed of electrons compare to the speed of light?

The speed of electrons is much slower than the speed of light. While the speed of light is approximately 3*10^8 m/s, the fastest recorded speed of electrons is around 2.2*10^8 m/s. This is because electrons have mass and are affected by other forces, while light does not have mass and can travel at a constant speed in a vacuum.