Speed of an electron and potential difference

In summary, you can use relativistic formulas when the particles speed becomes close to the speed of light.
grscott_2000
I have a question here where a potential difference is applied to a stationary electron. I have calculated the energy translated to the electron already and I know the mass energy of the electron.

If I want to find its final speed I assume that I use a rearrangement of the relativistic formula? And if so, what value would I use for Energy? Would it simply be the total energy : mass energy + translated energy?

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
grscott_2000 said:
I have a question here where a potential difference is applied to a stationary electron. I have calculated the energy translated to the electron already and I know the mass energy of the electron.

If I want to find its final speed I assume that I use a rearrangement of the relativistic formula? And if so, what value would I use for Energy? Would it simply be the total energy : mass energy + translated energy?

Thanks for any help

There are many formulas you can use,

[tex] E_{tot} = E_{k} + mc^{2} = \gamma mc^{2} [/tex]

[tex] \gamma = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}} [/tex]

remember that you can not take the rest mass of the electron in the expression of the kinetic energy.

Last edited:
Would that be Ek as in translated kinetic energy?

grscott_2000 said:
Would that be Ek as in translated kinetic energy?

Well E_k is kinetic energy, what you mean by "translated kinetic energy" I do not know.

You can also use this:

(E_tot)^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2

where p is the momentum:
p = gamma * mv, v is velocity.

And from this we can get:

v = c * sqrt[1 - (mc^2 / E_tot)^2 ]

I see... So if I have calculated the kinetic energy of an electron to be for example 6 x 10^-12J, then I can calculate the total energy as

(6 x 10^-12J) + mass of electron * speed of light^2 ?

And once this is established I can use one of the formulas to give me v?

Last edited:
How did you calculate the kinetic energy of electron?

You took:

Potential (electrical) energy = qV, where V is the electric poteintal, and then
qV = Kinetic energy?

Well then it is ok, and if you want to find out the velocity of the electron, you must calculate relativistic. (if the kinetic energy is approx 10% or more of the rest mass energy of electron)

yes that's exactly it... potential difference(100V) x charge of electron(q).

I understand that relativistic formulas are used when the particles speed become close to the speed of light. Is this right? Otherwise the classic Newtonian formula 1/2 mv^2 can be used?

grscott_2000 said:
yes that's exactly it... potential difference(100V) x charge of electron(q).

I understand that relativistic formulas are used when the particles speed become close to the speed of light. Is this right? Otherwise the classic Newtonian formula 1/2 mv^2 can be used?

yes, as I said, when the kinetic energy is apporx 10% or more, it may be good to use relativistic. The bigger the E_k is compared to the rest mass, the better to use the relativistic =)

Many thanks for your assistance

malawi_glenn said:
yes, as I said, when the kinetic energy is apporx 10% or more, it may be good to use relativistic. The bigger the E_k is compared to the rest mass, the better to use the relativistic =)

Hi there, sorry if this sounds like a noob question but why can't you use Newtonian formula at speeds close to c :confused:

Related to Speed of an electron and potential difference

1. What is the speed of an electron?

The speed of an electron is determined by its kinetic energy and the potential difference it is subjected to. On average, the speed of an electron in an electrical circuit is about 2.2 million meters per second.

2. How is the speed of an electron related to potential difference?

The speed of an electron is directly proportional to the potential difference it is subjected to. This means that as the potential difference increases, the speed of the electron also increases.

3. What is potential difference?

Potential difference is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is responsible for the movement of electrons in a circuit.

4. What is the relationship between potential difference and current?

The potential difference in a circuit is responsible for creating an electric field, which in turn causes the movement of electrons (current). Therefore, the higher the potential difference, the higher the current in the circuit.

5. How does the speed of an electron affect the flow of electricity?

The speed of an electron is a key factor in determining the flow of electricity in a circuit. As the speed of the electrons increases, the current also increases, resulting in a higher flow of electricity. This is why materials with high conductivity, such as metals, allow for faster flow of electricity compared to materials with low conductivity, such as rubber.