Speed of a tachyon increases as its energy decreases

In summary, tachyons are a theoretical concept that may not exist in reality. If they do exist, they would have imaginary mass, leading to a unique relationship between their speed and energy. This is in contrast to the behavior of particles with real mass, where an increase in speed leads to an increase in energy. The purpose of studying tachyons is to better understand the fundamental principles of physics and their potential implications.
Astro-Anouar
I Found This in Wikipedia ''the speed of a tachyon increases as its energy decreases. In particular, approaches zero when approaches infinity'' and My question is How can be this Possible ?! First I know ,When the speed of a particle increase, his Energy will increase Too , No ? Second How Can The speed Be Infinity ?! and Finally Why we create The Tachyon , Einstein said that the Photon is the Fastest ,so what the purpose of Tachyon why we create it ?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Astro-Anouar said:
I Found This in Wikipedia ''the speed of a tachyon increases as its energy decreases. In particular, approaches zero when approaches infinity'' and My question is How can be this Possible ?! First I know ,When the speed of a particle increase, his Energy will increase Too , No ? Second How Can The speed Be Infinity ?! and Finally Why we create The Tachyon , Einstein said that the Photon is the Fastest ,so what the purpose of Tachyon why we create it ?!

The tachyon is a mathematical construct that is not believed to exist in the real world.

Exercise: find the (relativistic) formula that gives a particle's speed v in terms of its energy E and mass m. You will find that it contains an m2.

Tachyons, if they exist, have imaginary mass: m = iμ where μ is a real number. (iμ)2 = -μ2. In the formula that you get in the exercise above, this changes a sign, which in turn produces the behavior of v with respect to E as described in Wikipedia.

Related to Speed of a tachyon increases as its energy decreases

1. What is a tachyon?

A tachyon is a hypothetical particle that travels faster than the speed of light. It is a theoretical concept and has not been proven to exist.

2. How is the speed of a tachyon related to its energy?

According to the theory of relativity, as the energy of a particle increases, its speed also increases. This is known as the energy-momentum relationship. However, for tachyons, the opposite is believed to be true. As its energy decreases, its speed increases.

3. Can a tachyon be observed or measured?

No, tachyons have not been observed or measured in any experiments. They are purely hypothetical particles and their existence is still a subject of debate in the scientific community.

4. What would happen if a tachyon were to interact with matter?

The behavior of tachyons is still largely unknown, but it is believed that if they were to interact with matter, they would have an imaginary mass and would not be able to slow down to the speed of light. This means that they would not be able to interact with matter in the same way as other particles, making their detection and study difficult.

5. What implications does the speed of a tachyon have on the laws of physics?

If tachyons were to exist and travel faster than the speed of light, it would challenge our current understanding of the laws of physics, particularly the theory of relativity. It could also lead to the possibility of time travel, as tachyons could potentially travel backwards in time. However, since their existence has not been proven, we cannot accurately predict the implications on the laws of physics.