Speed of a Cumulative Compound DC Motor

In summary, we discussed an equation for the Speed ω in Radians/seconds of a Cumulative Compound DC motor, which is calculated using the equation ω= K(Vt-IA[RA+RF)/(\PhiP+\PhiS). We also questioned the value of K and whether the Terminal Voltage Vt should be replaced by Armature Voltage Ea. Additionally, we touched on the varying torque speed curves and how they may not perfectly follow an exponential or linear pattern, as it could depend on factors such as internal friction and motor design.
mobin.abrar
I came across an equation for the Speed ω in Radians/seconds of a Cumulative Compound DC motor.

ω= K(Vt-IA[RA+RF)/([itex]\Phi[/itex]P+[itex]\Phi[/itex]S)

• How would we calculate K in this equation?
  • Shouldn't the Terminal Voltage Vt be replaced by Armature Voltage Ea?
  • I came across a lot of varying torque speed curves. WIll the curve be exponentially decaying or linear?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you should explain your formula and the used variables, or at least give its source.
My guess: K is some constant given by the geometry of the motor.

I came across a lot of varying torque speed curves. WIll the curve be exponentially decaying or linear?
I don't think that any of these curves are perfectly exponentially or linear. In addition, it might depend on the motor (e.g. how its internal friction depends on the angular velocity).

Related to Speed of a Cumulative Compound DC Motor

What is the speed of a cumulative compound DC motor?

The speed of a cumulative compound DC motor is determined by the rotational speed of the armature and the number of poles on the stator. The speed can be controlled by adjusting the input voltage and current, as well as the strength of the magnetic field.

What factors affect the speed of a cumulative compound DC motor?

The speed of a cumulative compound DC motor is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the number of poles on the stator, and the load on the motor. Additionally, the input voltage and current can also impact the speed of the motor.

How can the speed of a cumulative compound DC motor be controlled?

The speed of a cumulative compound DC motor can be controlled by adjusting the input voltage and current, as well as the strength of the magnetic field. Additionally, using a speed controller or a variable frequency drive can also regulate the speed of the motor.

What are the advantages of using a cumulative compound DC motor?

Cumulative compound DC motors have high starting torque and can provide constant torque over a wide range of speeds. They are also relatively simple and inexpensive compared to other types of motors. Additionally, they can be easily controlled and have a long lifespan with proper maintenance.

Are there any disadvantages to using a cumulative compound DC motor?

One disadvantage of using a cumulative compound DC motor is that it can produce high levels of electromagnetic interference (EMI). They also require regular maintenance, and their speed is affected by changes in the load, making them less suitable for applications that require precise speed control.