Speed of a charged object accelerated through a potential difference

In summary, two objects with different masses acquire different speeds when accelerated through the same potential difference. To find the charge of the second object, we can use the equation qV = 0.5mv^2 and consider the distance traveled by the charge to find the electric field, force, and acceleration. Alternatively, we can use Newton's equations of motion to relate the initial and final velocities, acceleration, and distance traveled. The displacement remains the same regardless of reference points.
musicmar

Homework Statement

A 5.0 g object carries a net charge of 3.8uC. It acquires a speed v when accelerated from rest through a potential difference V. A 2.0 g object acquires twice the speed under the same circumstances. What is its charge?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start for this one. I know I need to find the force on the object to find the acceleration, then use uniform accelerated motion equations to find the velocity. But I'm not really sure how to begin using only the charge and potential difference. If I find the electric field, then I can find the force. So the first step I suppose is to find the electric field of this area with potential difference V. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
use energ principle

qV = .5mv2

Is there another way to do this? Or can you explain where this equation comes from?

There is but its difficult for me to make you understand that method.
OK, let's try ...

Consider that the charge traveled some distance l while acquiring velocity v.

- write the electric field from one point of q to another.
- use that to find force
- use force to find acceleration of the particle.
- use Newton's eqn of motion relating initial, final velocity , acc. and distance travelled

The only problem with that is that I have no points of reference for distances. I tried using delta V = delta U/q, but I don't know if that necessarily holds without reference points.

You don't need reference points.

Displacement remains same even if origin is shifted!

Related to Speed of a charged object accelerated through a potential difference

What is the definition of potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electrical potential energy between two points in an electric field.

How is the speed of a charged object related to potential difference?

The speed of a charged object is directly proportional to the potential difference it is accelerated through, according to the equation v = √(2qV/m), where v is the speed, q is the charge of the object, V is the potential difference, and m is the mass of the object.

Can the speed of a charged object be increased indefinitely by increasing the potential difference?

No, the speed cannot be increased indefinitely as there is a limit to how fast the object can travel due to factors such as air resistance and the limitations of the materials used in the experiment.

How does the mass of the charged object affect its speed through a potential difference?

The mass of the object affects its speed through a potential difference according to the equation v = √(2qV/m). A larger mass will result in a slower speed, while a smaller mass will result in a faster speed, as long as the potential difference and charge remain constant.

Is there a limit to how high the potential difference can be in order to accelerate a charged object?

Yes, there is a limit to the potential difference that can be used to accelerate a charged object. This is due to factors such as the breakdown voltage of the material used and the strength of the electric field. If the potential difference exceeds this limit, it can cause damage to the materials or even cause the object to break apart.