Speed of a Car on Straight Road

• Thread starter nody
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Speed
In summary, the problem involves a car driving at different speeds on a road with varying angles. The maximum power of the motor is used in both cases, and the question asks for the speed of the car when driving on a straight road. The equations for motion can be found at the provided link. The solution involves considering the forces acting on the car and setting the sum equal to zero for each case.
nody

Homework Statement

A car is driving 25km/h upward a road,the road is under a angle of 4 degrees.The same car goes 100 km/h when it goes downward the same road,in both cases,when the car is driving upward and downward it's using the maximum possible power of the motor.Whats the speed of the car when it's driving on a straight road(the angle is 0).

Homework Equations

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html .Equations for motion.

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b
I know from real life that if a road is 4 degrees this means that after 100 meters on the straight ground you go 4 meters up.So I thought it's a triangle and I used pitagoras equation to get the hypothenuse.After I got that I thought ok,now we have the way which the car has overcome.And I thought also that because it's using full motors power that the speed should be constant,but I don't know how to continue or if the previous things which I said here are correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
4 degrees does not mean 4 meter elevation per 100 m, it is more. What is the equation for that?

Regardless, you should start by writing down the forces acting on the car; their sum is the acceleration, which is zero. You have three different cases to consider.

Related to Speed of a Car on Straight Road

What factors affect the speed of a car on a straight road?

The speed of a car on a straight road can be affected by several factors such as the engine power, weight of the car, aerodynamics, road conditions, and air resistance.

How is the speed of a car on a straight road calculated?

The speed of a car on a straight road can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This is known as the average speed. To calculate the instantaneous speed, the distance traveled in a very short time interval is divided by that time interval.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed and velocity are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings. Speed is the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is the rate at which an object is moving in a specific direction. This means that an object can have the same speed but different velocities if it is moving in different directions.

How does air resistance affect the speed of a car on a straight road?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the speed of a car on a straight road. As the car moves through the air, it experiences resistance that slows it down. This is why cars with more streamlined designs and lower air resistance can achieve higher speeds.

Can the speed of a car on a straight road ever exceed the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. It is impossible for any material object, including a car, to travel at or exceed the speed of light. Therefore, the speed of a car on a straight road can never exceed the speed of light.